1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Band less and want to set up home recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Batz, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Batz

Batz

I just want to make sure this equipment isn't junk and will be all I need. I want something where I can make good recordings with my bass and my awful guitar playing. I would use the computer to add any other instruments such as keyboard, drums. It would be punk new wave type stuff so nothing fancy.

I'm Mac based so was thinking Logic Pro because they have all the loops, band in a box, and a recording package that includes zoom r24, 2 Krk 2 monitors, and a mic. Put the link below. Am I missing anything or are there better options?
    http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ZOO-R24-PAK-LIST

2. aasti3000

aasti3000 Supporting Member

You don't need the recorder if you're using you're going to use logic.
    Replace that with an audio interface (M-Audio seems to be the favorite), those monitors and the mic in the package and that can run to your logic. That's all you pretty much need if you're using logic. Might save a few bucks.

3. Batz

Batz

I was thinking that, but I do plan on joining another band soon and I record all rehearsals. Thought the fact it was a combination recorder, interface, control surface would make it a good deal.

4. aasti3000

if you plan on getting logic then it will turn your laptop into the combination recorder you were referring to if you get an audio interface. Logic has a mixing console within it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Einherjar

Einherjar

Logic is good for beginners. I prefer Cubase personally. Which will run on a mac as well. Just stay away from Sonar Cakewalk and you'll do well :p

7. Einherjar

Einherjar

Also, it may be harder to use for a beginner and its not as pretty as Logic, Cubase, ProTools, etc, but there is a free DAW out there called Reaper that works very well for audio recording (just don't try to use it for MIDI)

8. aasti3000

Keep hearing about this Reaper...I gotta get on it.

9. Einherjar

Einherjar

It very solid and constantly updated. Like I said though, if you're planning on doing anything with midi (drums, keys/synth, etc) the pricier "pro"grams (hurhur) blow it out of the water in capabilities and user friendliness. That may have changed though as I haven't used Reaper in about three years.

10. Batz

Batz

Unfortunately, no laptop. Using an iMac.

11. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Disclosures:
    AFM International Representative
    I'm a Mac user planning on getting Logic Pro and in the meantime using Garage Band. My understanding is Garage Band files can be used with Logic. I'm using the Focusrite 2i2 for my interface.

Wally