Band members kill obnoxious 'sit in' in Thailand

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Crater, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Crater

Crater

Link here:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metr...lled-in-dispute-with-band-at-thailand-bar.ece

2. Frohman

Frohman

Am I allowed to think this is kinda funny? In light of TB's running jokes, of course.
  3. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Rampant stupidity causing tragedy. It's a shame.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  4. quiltkitty

quiltkitty Supporting Member

Ugh! Stabbed in the chest with an iron rod! That's grizzly! Thailand sure does have strict punishments for being an obnoxious *******! (I'm going to hell for that, I know).

Seriously, though, it's sad and could have been prevented by use of good judgment, which makes it sadder. I feel terrible for his family.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. stagebanter

stagebanter

WOW! I know we've all wanted to do it - but I thought we just agreed to draw the line at actually harming the drunk sit-in guys.
  7. jaywa

jaywa

Bangkok Thailand is NOT a place you want to play the drunk "ugly American" fool. And you certainly don't want to be getting into it with the locals.

I feel bad for his family (sort of) but if that's all the common sense he had, what can you do?
  8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Seems like a lot of people feel like it's OK to be absolute a$$es when abroad, in Thailand in particular where middle-aged men go to behave in ways they never would at home ...

Terrible that someone has to die of course, but can't say I'm surprised it happened.
  9. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Livin' it up at the Hotel California. Great story.

Another American guy was killed by a Thai taxi driver a few weeks ago for refusing to pay a 51 baht cab fare (about $1.70). The American even threw a cup of coffee in the driver's face before the driver pulled out his sword and hacked the guy to death.

As an American who has lived in Bangkok for the past seven years, I can tell you that "Hotel California" is the Mustang Sally/Brown-Eyed girl for Thai cover bands. I mean every band plays that song. Sometimes twice in one set.

Oddly enough, "Zombie" by The Cranberries is probably the second most covered song, closely followed by "Cotton Fields" by CCR.
  10. 1954bassman

1954bassman

So, I guess the band decided he would get a "full cut" just for sitting in... (kaa-poosshhh)
  11. quiltkitty

quiltkitty Supporting Member

And Americans wonder why everyone hates us ...
  12. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

....well so what....they crashed their plane into the runway at SFO.....:ninja:
  13. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

That was a South Korean airline. South Korea is about a 6-7 hour flight north of Thailand. Someone didn't do well in Geography class.
  14. MartinG1957

MartinG1957 You can never have too many bones.... Supporting Member

The US doesn't have a monopoly on obnoxious drunks abroad.
  15. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    No, they come from many countries ...
  16. MartinG1957

MartinG1957 You can never have too many bones.... Supporting Member

And I'm sure many here have been tempted when some a$$hole with a voice like a goose farting in the fog and a grip on a mic like a pit bull on a juicy ankle takes root on the stage.... Go on, you know you have :)
  17. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

FYI: Everyone doesn't hate Americans.

Taken from a great article:
    http://bananenplanet.wordpress.com/2012/07/17/10-things-most-americans-dont-know-about-america/

"In fact, most people in the world don't think about Americans or care about Americans. Just like we rarely think about the people in Bolivia or Mongolia, most people don’t think about us much. They have jobs, kids, house payments — you know, those things called lives — to worry about. Americans tend to assume that the rest of the world either loves us or hates us. The fact is, most people feel neither."
  18. Hues

Hues

To quote Jason Statham in the movie The Mechanic;

"Good judgement comes from experience...Experience comes from bad judgement."
  19. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Oh my God, this is more than I can bear. Grisly is the word thou seeketh.
  20. huckleberry1

huckleberry1 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    student
    the ugly american
  21. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Was listening to an interview with Delbert McClinton many years ago and he was asked what was the strangest thing he'd ever seen in all his years of playing in divey southern blues joints and he said he was watching a couple drunk guys out in the parking lot fighting when one of them pulled a metal bar out of the ground and jammed it through the other guy's chest. He went on to say the guy died before the ambulance got there.

Apparently death of an American by impalement with a metal bar outside a bar is not an occurrence confined to sub tropical Asia.

No real surprise however that besides both victims being American the other common denominator was excessive alcohol consumption.