band merch

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mattbass6945, Jan 9, 2014.

1. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

my band is on its third gig and starting to get a little crowd going. we've got t-shirts and work shirts already for sale. my question to you guys is, what type of merch do you have outside of shirts; how well does it sell in comparison to t-shirts; and what type of music do you play? i think the last question is important since different items will appeal differently to various ages, gender, types of people, etc.
  2. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

.....aaaannnnnnddddd crickets.
  3. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I play in a heavy/garage/alternative rock band. We have CDs, t-shirts, and stickers. We've been thinking about creating some new merch, too. Maybe bandanas or beer holders.

Rocket From the Crypt, The Supersuckers, and Reverend Horton Heat always have a cool selection of merch at their shows. Check out their websites for some ideas.
  4. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

We sell long sleeved and short sleeved shirts but our biggest seller is
    T shirts specially cut for females. They are tapered and fitted for gals.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 10cc

10cc

Art rock. T shirts, hats, koozies, stickers, posters and one time we had underwear and tank tops for the ladies. The ladder sold out faster than the t shirts. We always give CD's out for free.
  7. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

we just got this remark from a couple gals at the last show. think we will try our best to please the ladies! :D

thanks for the ideas guys. i think we may do guitar picks soon. i know they aren't really great for promo, but i think it's a neat thing for the people and i'll split the cost with the guitarist.

i know you can look at cost of making something versus the amount you'd sell it for, but i'm curious of the real world stats. what do the fans really go for? thanks again, guys!
  8. skwee

skwee

9. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

My vintage country project has t-shirts, baseball caps, bumper stickers for now. Later we'll get a CD out, maybe an 8x10 glossy of the band. The photos are great for autographs and dart board covers. :p

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  10. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
  11. basslifter

basslifter

Not knowing this is the case for the op, but thr android app does not have search
  12. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

we've done buttons, stickers, beer koozies, and shot glasses in addition to the tshirts. they all do terribly for us.

we've talked about doing trucker hats, beenies, and women's shirts.. but they are nearly prohibitively expensive (to us)

wanted to do belt buckles but... well ... that would be way too big of an investment. even tho they would be awesome.
  13. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player

shirts, cd's and stickers about do it for us. Guitar player had some custom picks made but I'm not sure if we have sold any. Looking at a small run of hats at some point this yr.
  14. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i tried typing in a few variants of the above with scattered results at best. as a long time lurker of talkbass, i am well familiar with the "use the search, best bass for metal and flats and tort" responses!:D

all smart arse responses aside, thanks for the link. i'm checking it out now!
  15. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

the thing i'm interested in that differs from most of the previous threads, is to see what sells best and to what crowd.

in other words, a hip rock band that plays to people in their 20's is going to have better luck selling thong panties and lighters than a contemporary christian act playing to people in their 30's. there is a great and varied community here at talkbass, so what works for my hard rock originals band might not work for bill buck's country covers.

just trying to approach this from a different angle, hopefully i'm not complicating it.
  16. invader3k

invader3k Supporting Member

I've been trying to think of cheap giveaway items. Stickers are cool, but I'd be worried they'd end up plastered on the walls of whatever bar we happen to be playing at.
  17. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

picks are cool for giveaway items. our singer throws out a couple shirts during an instrumental song. gives hime something to do while there is no singing, pumps the crowd up. the rest of the shirts we sell. maybe coozies? i think they are relatively cheap.
  18. invader3k

invader3k Supporting Member

Beer coozies might be a fun idea. I'll have to look into that.
  19. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player

There's nothing wrong with that. I've stuck a few of ours up myself.
  20. LowendinFL

LowendinFL

If you have any female fans (if you dont play metal) its a good idea to have female tank shirts to sell. For some reason I have found they are twice as much money to purchase so you will need to charge accordingly.
  21. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

You name it. We've sold everything from vinyl stickers to thongs. Including a bunch of different t shirts, hoodies, obviously CDs, wrists bands. Pretty much the usual stuff. Looking to get away from CDs now an planning to put music on iTunes. CDs and regular t shirts are here we make most of the profit. Hoodies are expensive to get made. We slowly sold them for $25 each if i remember righr. Mostly to for hard fans and family members. Try to focus on things you can sell for $5 or $10. We have also bundled on occasion. Like if we were playing a venue we'd never been at we wanted to sell CDs more than anything so we would do t shirt and a cd together or two CDs and a shirt together