1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Band Missing a Bassist?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by iVanilla, Dec 31, 2013.

1. iVanilla

iVanilla

What happens when a band is missing their bassist, for any reason? Local bands that are off the ground enough to play in a local rehearsal studio. I was wondering if bands ever use a 'temporary' bassist.
  2. bassteban

bassteban

It is common. We call it *subbing*
  3. iVanilla

iVanilla

And how exactly does subbing work? Just curious...
  4. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

The only gigs I do these days are fill-in gigs. I am not a member of any band. And I stay as busy as I want to be. There are lots of us who either only play fill-in gigs or play them in addition to our main gigs. So, yes, "temporary" bassists are used all the time.

Welcome to TalkBass!
  5. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I get a call asking if I want the gig. I ask a few questions.

How much does it pay?
    How much travel is involved?
    Do you have charts for your stuff or do I need to make them myself?
    What kind of music?

.....that kind of thing.

If we agree on terms, I take the gig. I rarely do rehearsals, but I will if the money is good enough and the rehearsal AND gig are near where I live.

Just ask around your area. Unless you live in a corn field miles away from a town, you should be able to pick up someone who wants to jam. Good luck with it.
  6. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

I am a regular sub for a friends band. They do completely different covers than us...so its challenging and fun.
    Honestly I plan on ramping up my subbing this upcoming year.
  7. iVanilla

iVanilla

Thanks for the info. I'll be looking into it.
  8. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

I do sub jobs on occasion. Mostly theatre stuff, but sometimes cover bands. I did one back on St. Patrick's Day for an Irish band. No rehearsal, just charts on a stand when I walked in the door! It was a lot of fun.
  9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Most often it seems subs are either pros brought in by management (if the band is that big) or friends/acquaintances of the band. Sometimes if a band is desperate they might put out an 11th-hour ad on craigslist or something. I once responded to one like that where the regular bassist had broken his hand in an accident two days before the gig. You have to either know the repertoire cold already, or be able to learn on the fly from a chart or just listening.
  10. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

They usually find a new bass player, hire a sub bass player, play without a bass player, or break up.

Anyone (even hobby hacks with no paying gigs) can rent a local rehearsal studio.

Yes, they're called a sub/hired gun.
  11. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

I'll just add that the type of band, genre, size all have to be taken into account about this thread. As well as whether or not the band is covers or originals only.