Band Problem?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by PortlandBass77, Jan 20, 2014.

1. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

So I have had this band with the current lineup for 2 years now, which consists of a drummer, vocalist, guitarist, and me the bassist :bassist: . We are all heavily influenced by Rush, Iron Maiden, and Led Zeppelin, and when we started out we all had the same vision for the band, a progressive rock/metal band that breaks away from all styles of modern metal. Well now we are completely split on what direction the band should go in after a practical failure of a debut album. The drummer and vocalist think we should adopt more grunge elements to our music and essential become a "progressive grunge metal band" (which I can live with if we do decide on it). While the guitarist randomly in the last 6 months got really into black and death metal (which when I first met him he hated btw lol) so he want's the band to become a full on black/death metal hybrid. No one else wants to do this and I especially hate the idea because I can't stand listening to these 2 genres. Lastly I think we should essentially keep the genre of music the same as our first album, but completely overhaul the song writing and recording process. So my question is: Is this a legitimate band problem or an overblown non-issue? And if it is an issue is there a solution?

2. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

This is most definitely a legitimate issue, and the only solution is for some member(s) to compromise so that you can all agree on the future direction of the band, and for those who cannot fully embrace that direction to step aside.

However, I think a much bigger question is why the first album was a failure, and I guarantee the reasons have very little to do with what genre you're pursuing.

3. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    If your in northern Europe go black screamo if your in North or South America go the typical radio grunge metal enjoy it and maybe make a buck and possibly get grabbed by that label again.? My 2 cents

4. philvanv

Disclosures:
    I just saw Portland in your name

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

We disagree on why the first album was a failure. I think because of many song writing and recording flaws along with inexperience.

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The world does NOT need one more black metal/death metal band.

Not ONE.

8. Bassnoise

Bassnoise

Mix them all be a hyper genre bending metal grunge Black Death progressive band...

Seriously I'd check it out

9. philvanv

Disclosures:
    I think the Finns and and Nord's need one more since they kill each other off.

What is the title of the CD?

10. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Note that neither will be helped by changing genres. Indeed, they're likely to be hindered by it.

Don't get me wrong, if you guys want to change genres for personal/creative reasons, by all means do it. Just be wary of using it as a scapegoat for the real underlying problems.

IMO we could never have enough bands truly at the intersection of black and death metal - most bands claiming those titles just take the worst elements of the Gothenburg sound and mix in varying amounts of -core to taste. PLEASE don't do THAT.

11. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yes its a legit band problem and maybe there's a solution, but it probably depends on much, if not on everything you haven't told us. Do you have an audio sample link?

12. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

We are HydroLydian and the CD is self titled

13. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

This is all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93VOvSSfZqo
    Everything else on there is just us messing around with the recording equipment and random ideas that didn't work too well. Everything on youtube except FNS got cut from the album.

14. philvanv

Disclosures:
    Thanks im gonna check it out. So what label picked you guys up? Im in Wa so Im going to be following you. Im am interested to find out what you guys end up doing. Best of luck...feel free to check our new project out if you want a laugh

15. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

What would you have defined as success for your CD?

You're in a niche of niche markets so what did you project as possible sales?

16. philvanv

Disclosures:
    This was supposed to be a PM

17. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

We weren't looking for $$$ from the first CD. We wanted to get the word out about us and try to get a fan base going, but we couldn't make it happen so that is why it failed.

18. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

I don't think the issue is really songwriting/recording here. It's much wider than that. Based on the sample you've put up, I can't really discern any musical direction from the pieces. You're also very out of time with each other and the mix is very odd.

There are quite a few issues here, mate.

19. spz8

spz8

I'm not trying to offend, but I tried to get through "FNS" and found it to be absolutely unlistenable. Needs a lot more woodshedding, and a lot less promotion and recording: rhythm, timing, melody, harmony, etc.

Good luck.

20. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

Would you say it's a combination of all of us or is it one person bringing down the whole band?

21. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

I agree, I don't even know if I would feel comfortable releasing this as a demo, it sounds more like a reference to bring with you into the studio.

You guys are clearly talented players, and from what I can hear I really think the songs are there, but the production is an absolute mess.

Note that this still may not be what's actually "holding you back," but it's certainly a starting point.