Band saw blade speed?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by kevinldn, Jan 3, 2014.

1. kevinldn

kevinldn

I have an interesting situation. Yesterday I bought a 3 wheel 16" delta band saw but the drive pulley is not the right pulley for wood cutting, it is far too small resulting in very slow blade speed. Unfortunately Delta has discontinued this part and it is nearly impossible to find anywhere. I can't find what size this wood cutting drive pulley is either. so I need to know if 1700 fps is going to be sufficient for wood cutting or if I really should try to get closer to 3000 fps. I know that I will also need a new belt to use a bigger pulley.

Perhaps one of you have a delta 28-550 or 28-560 band saw that could tell me what size your drive pulley is. I would greatly appreciate your help with this. I believe that I will have to get a pulley milled to make this work properly.

Thanks for your help

2. Reticle

Reticle Supporting Member

I'm 99% sure that on the old Delta 3 wheel bandsaws, you use 2 different belts. A large belt over both pulleys for wood, and for metal, you use a smaller belt with the small (center) pulley removed. The belt rides directly on the arbor. I'm not positive that yours is the same, but the one I am thinking of was a Delta 3 wheel.

3. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

You can change the pulley sizes, smaller on the motor will spin it faster. Large up above will do the same, you need to try and keep the size changes about the same so you can still tighten the belt.

4. Reticle

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kevinldn

kevinldn

Thanks. Now does anyone happen to have the wood cutting pulley for that saw? Would anyone be willing to sell it? Cant find that pulley anywhere. It has been discontinued.

7. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

8. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

I love a site where folk's are helpful...

9. kevinldn

kevinldn

I tried that site. They no longer carry that part and can't get it either. Is there a place that makes after market pulleys? I have looked everywhere and can't fine one. Getting really frustrated with this saw. I really appreciate everyones help thus far. Thank you so much. Truly a great group of people on this site.

10. kevinldn

kevinldn

It's official, I have tried everything. This part just doesn't exist. Any one with a 3 wheel delta band saw that would be willing to sell the drive pulley, please PM me. I am getting pretty desperate.

11. evanoverdrive

evanoverdrive

12. kevinldn

kevinldn

Just checked with them. They don't have one either. Thanks for the help

13. Reticle

Just out of curiosity, it's the bottom center pulley you're trying to change, right?

14. kevinldn

kevinldn

Yes. It came with about a 1 1/4" pulley which would be fine for cutting metal. It is the pulley that goes on the motor shaft. I am guessing that it is a 4-5 inch pulley. Just a guess though.

15. sowilson

sowilson

you might want to run your question by the folk's on the woodworking forum www.sawmillcreek.org. Someone there probably has that bandsaw and can measure the pully you need, and someone may have one for sale.