1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Band Troubles

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by the walrus, Dec 8, 2012.

1. the walrus

the walrus

Though I'm playing rhythm guitar in my band instead of bass, is still think bassists are wiser with their advice. The problem I Am facing is that the guitarist got a singer for the band. Back when I started the band we agreed I would be the lead singer. I talked to the guitarist after I heard the new singer joined and told him I was singing. He was fine with it but the singer still showed up at our practice. I didnt want to say anything while the singer was there so I just went with. Now they're planning on having him be the singer. This pisses me off because I started the band, the guitarist didnt ask first, I probably won't be able to sing, and they never let me decide anything in the band. Please help.

2. Twobass

Twobass

It sounds like you are not the lead singer of the band, not anymore. Time to quit since you want to be the singer and the rest of the band doesn't want you to be the singer.

3. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Spector Owner Club #372 Supporting Member

this could also be a discreet way of them saying they are having a creative difference with you. like trying to get a new singer while you're normally the singer, and they might be hoping it will push you away.

4. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Not only are you not the lead singer, you're not even a voting member, let alone an equal partner in the enterprise. You're already gone; you just haven't left yet.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Well, let's all be honest here. OK I'll admit that was a tacky move on their part. But tell us this. Is the guy a much better singer than you? We may not have the whole story.

7. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Does the other guy sing better than you? If it was my band and I had started it, I would tell the guitar player that its your band and the other guy can't join. How do the other members of the band feel? Maybe you should ask if any of them want to replace the "new" singer and the guitar player.

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

+1.

Though it is an awful way of going about, they might be too embarrassed or worried about hurting your feelings to tell you how they feel about your singing.

Either that or they just plain old have zero respect for you.

9. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass Supporting Member

Call a meeting without the new singer and tell the band you aren't happy with this turn of events and THE BAND needs to make a democratic decision on it. At that point if you aren't happy with the vote you can decide whether to stay or not, or to start the struggle to regain some capital.

Unfortunately you have allowed "your" band to be appropriated and yourself to be marginalized. Once this has happened you either accept your marginal position or face a long hard fight to regain some input... or leave. Something to keep in mind for the future.

10. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Why do you want to be the lead singer/bass player? If you want to get your audience, it's better to have a "naked" lead who can act as a front person. Of course, they have to be good, including having stage presence, and being good at banter.

I don't know, man. If it's your band, fire people until you have the band you want.

11. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

Sounds like your band mates have made their decision.

Your decision is to leave or live with it.

The only thing in life we really have control of is our attitudes. No matter what your band mates do, or decide, YOU are solely in charge of the way you choose to react.

Good luck!

12. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

That's what I was thinking. Bringing in an extra person means less money, so they must have had a reason. Did they say why they wanted to bring this guy in?

13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    It's possible that the singer is just a friend of the other band members. Too much is unknown in this thread to make any kind of judgment. Are these novices, or seasoned players? Is this a profitable gigging band?

14. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass Supporting Member

LOL. The bane of virtually every TB/BM thread......

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So we still want to know - is the other singer better than you? Have the other members ever complained about your singing?

16. gumtown

gumtown Supporting Member

I'm interested in this, and to see where it goes.
    You say
    seems like you have sat back and let things evolve and are subconciously letting things happen this way. It's probably too late now, if the band feels the new singer is better, they won't go back, you are stuck being the rhythm guitarist who does BV.

17. podiumboy

podiumboy

Does this new singer also play guitar? Maybe the rest of the band wanted a singer who is more of a "frontman". A Mick Jagger instead of a John Lennon, for example.

When my old band was starting like 12 years (!) ago, our drummer didn't like our singer, and without telling us invited a friend of his to our practice to "audition" to be the lead singer with the intention of moving our singer back to RG. Our singer was a very outspoken person, and just said "GET HIM THE **** OUT OF HERE!" The issue was never pressed again. Of course, myself and the other guy in the band had the singer's back.

Sorry to say, but your choice is to either play guitar in a band that really isn't YOUR band anymore, or leave and start anew.

18. bluewine

bluewine Banned

My opinion, Mick Jagger, icon status frontman.

The Beatles didn't have what would be considered a frontman.

Blue

19. Raymeous

Raymeous

Nothing says you can't BOTH do the singing.

However, it was somewhat underhanded. That is something that should definitely be agreed upon by the whole band before a move is made to add yet another ego and slice of the tiny tiny money pie from the gigs.

20. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Whether the new guy is a better singer or not, this is an obvious case of bad band management. If the band wants someone else to be lead singer, they should discuss it and make an open decision. Instead, sounds like it's all passive-aggressive. You say you're the singer, they say "OK" but basically blow you off, the new guy comes in and you don't do anything about it. This is not going to end well.

21. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego