1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bandmates rip on the look of your gear or you?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by edpal, Apr 14, 2014.

1. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    At one end of the extreme we have Bootsy Collins, at the other... Bruce Willis? :meh: I recently got into a little exchange with my guitarist, he made some crack like my bass was too flashy or odd looking. I responded that his flat grey Fender looked like a tombstone. And followed up with,"are we gonna have to take you shopping, or you have some flashier threads for gigging?" When style sense clashes...tell us about it.:D

2. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This has never happened to me, and I can pretty much guarantee it never will.

3. invader3k

invader3k Supporting Member

No one has really ever called into question my gear or my appearance..frankly, I get quite a few compliments..."Cool bass," or "That's a nice rig you have", etc.

SteveHeissner likes this.
  4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

edpal - please post some pic's so we can see what you grumpy old farts are really bickering over. Thanks

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dogbertday

Dogbertday

I was in a funk band, and a sub guitar player's gig look was straight biker (not his every day wear). While the band leader was in a shiny suit.

Not a problem at all. I'm always entertained by this stuff.

7. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Go Team Sea Slug!! Supporting Member

Media:
    Man, I guess I've just never been in any bands that were uber focused on aesthetics. If someone came in with a hello kitty strat I might raise an eyebrow, but for the most part I run into bands that really aren't that concerned with appearance. Only time I'm worried is if I'm in a band with mid-20's guys and another dude is in his 50's...seems kind of awkward.

devntran likes this.
  8. Thumpinshelton

Thumpinshelton

I once played southern country gospel on a BC Rich Warlock bass......I got a few weird looks!

The EH Man, devntran and carsbybigd like this.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

The cowboy hat conversation never comes up? ;) :D

I have received barbs and praise before, so I don't think about it too much. Plus I do not play in a serious band, so I really don't give a fudge about my image and "making it."

Although lots of my gear decisions I make with the future in mind. I was going to finish my fEARful in purple but I thought, well if I end up working for a BL again, I want something appropriate, so I did it in black.

10. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Not so much my gear or look but I had several comments about my technique. I played in a punk band for several years. Bass players in punk bands typically play with a pick but I am more comfortable playing finger-style. Guys in the band didn't care but I would get comments here and there.
    One time there was a younger band that opened for us. After our set he came up to me said that he really dug my sound but a couple songs would have been better if I played with a pick. Eh.

11. eriky4003

eriky4003

My gear is all GK. I even spray-painted the grill of my 4x10 to match the 115 (this isn't a mixed cab thread so no flaming pls & thx) in the rehearsal room.
    I do poke fun at my guitarists as one has a Mesa-Boogie head with a Marshall 4x12, whereas the other has a Marshall head with a, you guessed it, Mesa-Boogie 4x12.

12. mambo4

mambo4

I've had both my gear and personal appearance scrutinized in my last band. Gear wise , one band member (a confessed if-its-not-vintage-its-crap hipster) thought my GB streamliner 900 looked "like a dvd player." Dress wise, the whole band went shopping at a vintage clothing store in an attempt to establish a band look (that to me seemed unremarkable. )

Did any of it bother me? Nope. I embrace the idea that appearance counts in performance, and some 'dress up' is expected. As for the gear...well nobody was dumb enough to argue with the sound of a GB SL900.

13. Doll

Doll Versus Doll

I once had a guitarist in my band ask me to consider getting a 610 or an 810 mostly for aesthetic reasonings and looking professional. I prefer smaller rigs myself as we always have FOH support. I picked up a mesa walkabout scout 15 and he hasn't mentioned it since. :D

14. Kustom_Thunder

Kustom_Thunder Supporting Member

:D

15. somegeezer

somegeezer

I think I've generally always had the better amp in any band I've been in [which isn't much of an achievement]. So hearing something like that would make me laugh.

I think I have had guitarists pull odd looks when they find out it's solid state. Until they hear the thing, of course.

As for my bass, though. I guess I've just been lucky. It's cheap as chips, yet I've never had anyone really notice. Sometimes, I've even had people compliment the sound, wondering what bass I use. They are often surprised at it not being some top name brand thing. I think a lot of it is down to the amp. Which just solidifies my thoughts of a good amp making a terrible bass ok, and a terrible amp still going to make a fantastic bass sound like crap.

16. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Ever heard of Spirit?

17. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    +1.

Seems pretty childish to me.

18. Kustom_Thunder

Kustom_Thunder Supporting Member

I had a guitar player give me crap because the tuners on my thumb bass are angled.

SeamzKing likes this.
  19. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

In one of my old bands I used to get picked on because I didn't own a 5 string bass. I was told to get a "big boy" bass. Eventually I did buy one, but because I wanted it and not because I was told to get it.

Clothing is funny. With my current band we wanted to have a "look", I guess you would say. Over time, I'm the only one who has adhered to the original idea, so now I look like the odd man out....:D

20. ITucker_034I

ITucker_034I

I think a look (particulatly clothes) matters more to those younger, and it does make a difference if you want to be taken seriously. Of course there are exceptions.

The thing is, if you are playing a type of music that you like youre much more likely to be dressed appropriately anyway, as music and fashion go hand in hand often, so the issue is less likely to come up.

Bass and amp wise you can make almost anything work in most cases.

21. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin

I'm in my 50s and our singer and drummer are both women in their mid 20s. It works just fine, since nobody sees me when they are around anyway. I go for the shiny polyester flash, but nobody sees me no matter what I wear or do. They are better looking than I am, apparently. My ego is crushed. Otherwise, no problems.