1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bands you've seen live!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TheEndIsNYE, Dec 8, 2011.

1. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

So what bands have you seen live throughout your whole life? I'll start: I saw Rush this year in Greensboro in April and they were GODLY! Plus, it was the very first concert in my life I've ever been to and I still miss that night. I was 13th seat, row A just right in front of the stage on Alex's side and I almost got to catch one of the shirts he threw at us. His pre-solo before 'Closer To The Heart' gave me chills and I'm not gonna lie, a tear slipped because it was just so beautiful! I did like the new version of the last half of the song, it was cool and I made a 'whoopsie' when I said "You can be the-OH WHOOPS'. Overall, it was such a perfect night and I'll never forget that show. I didn't have any Rush attire to wear at the time, so I was left to wear my Iron Maiden Number of the Beast shirt; there were actually a of Maiden fans at the show, which was pretty cool! About a month later, I got my VIP package from them and it came with some cool merchandise. I got a Rush baseball tee, some signed picks, Rush poster, and their program book along with the Making of Moving Pictures and 2112 DVD. Man, my throat was shot for almost a week! And then, near the end of Thanksgiving break, I saw Thin Lizzy, Black Label Society, and JUDAS PRIEST at Winston-Salem, and it was awesome! Unfortunately, I was only to catch the last 10 seconds of Thin Lizzy's last song "The Boys Are Back In Town" since I really don't listen to them and I was curious, even though Phill Lynott and Gary Moore are dead I doubt it would have been the same. Black Label Society were alright, I could barely hear Zack's vocals and his bassist is small. (First time seeing BLS and I don't really listen to them either). Zack Wylde's 20 minute guitar solo was fine during the first few minutes, but then it got repetitive and had little variation. Then came the last act, Judas Priest. Man oh man, they put on a crazy show! It was like waiting to open your Christmas presents when you're a little kid. I could not stop screaming for Priest while the show was on break with the DJ occupying the crowd with some tunes. It was awesome to see her (I think the DJ's name was 'Lady Starlight', I believe?) pay tribute to Black Sabbath by playing "Neon Knights" and "War Pigs", but back to Priest now. So yeah, Priest were the best of that night! The setlist was great and yes, I actually am one of those people who enjoy 'Turbo Lover'. The acoustic beginning of their 'Diamonds and Rust' cover was real neat-o, and it was a great opening with 'Rapid Fire'! When Scott Travis went into 'Painkiller' after his drum solo, I saw Rob has not lost his touch at all! I was so nuts, just headbanging the whole show! Man, and that was my second concert of my life. I liked how Rob made us sing all the lyrics of "Breaking The Law" along with the other choruses of the other songs. Rob coming out of his motorcycle for "Hell Bent For Leather" was so awesome to see! After the show, I stopped by the merchandise booth and I got me this awesome Judas Priest program book! Oh and a funny story. I was in line with this old lady who actually happened to be friends with Ronnie James Dio (totally awesome!) and she told me about her teenage days of being a slut... I won't lie, for her current age and figure now, she's not bad looking and I bet she was hot back in those years (Is this wrong to say coming from a minor??). I also got to talk to this old guy outside this burger place before the show, smoking a cig with him, and he was telling me about all the Metal bands he's seen and Judas Priest would be his first time, and he had a VIP pass (Dude, I thought this guy was the coolest old person I've ever met). So yeah, when I got home my throat was shot for about a day or two, and my neck was so, so sore from all that whiplash. What did suck though, was I had to go back to school the next day and I DID NOT want to be there after such a great night, but I had to.

GAAAAH, MY STORY IS OVER. Sorry, I'm only 16 years old (turning 17 years old next month), and I rarely get to go to big shows like this. So what about you guys?? :)
  2. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

And also, Metal shows happen to have the hottest chicks I've ever seen.
  3. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

They just seem that way because of the scarcity.
  4. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Well, some of the more memorable.....

1983..The Who...
    1983...Metallica...Dave Mustaine still in band
    Black Sabbath at Costa Mesa with Rob Halford on vocals, then Ozzy for a short set.
  5. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

Dude, way cool! Did you see Ron or Cliff??
  6. 64jazz

64jazz

Let's see. In no particular order:
    1. Journey
    2. REO Speedwagon
    3. Van Halen
    4. Molly Hatchet
    5. .38 Special
    6. Metallica
    7. Judas Priest
    8. Korn
    9. Kid Rock
    10. Staind
    11. Godsmack
    12. Pantera
    13. Days of the New
    14. System of a Down
    15. Various locals and buskers

Oh, and I had tickets to see Ozzy, like a week and a half after RR was killed! Of course, that was cancelled. :crying:
  7. Datsgor

Cliff....I jumped on stage to tell him what a badass bassist he was. He said thanks......:meh: It was his first gig with the band.
  8. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

I'm pretty jealous to read this! That's awesome you got to say that to him! But why the ':\' face?
  9. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow

Correct.

If that's the case, you're obviously living in the wrong part of the world.

Bands I've seen live? Hmm....

Dismember, Satyricon, Gorgoroth, Gehenna, Kort Prosess, Cannibal Corpse, Primus, Slayer, Mastodon, Morbid Angel, Vader, Mayhem, Aura Noir, Voivod, Origin, Misery Index, Mercyful Fate, Cadaver Inc., The Allseeing I, Old Man's Child, Virus, Emperor+++

Yes, I'm a metalhead. Shoot me.
  10. Thrust Meatnozl

Thrust Meatnozl

Too many to remember.
  11. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

Also, if you guys have any interesting stories about the shows you've been to, please share! :)
  12. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler Supporting Member

Get the hell off my lawn
  13. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

[​IMG]
  14. 5StringBlues

5StringBlues

[​IMG]

^ This really should be a TB emoticon.....
  15. 5StringBlues

5StringBlues

Hell,let's see:

Rush,Judas Priest,Prince,Eddie Money,Stevie Ray Vaughn,

BB King,John Lee Hooker,Alice Cooper,Eric Clapton,

Paul McCartney,FIIISHBOOONE-probably 10 times,Bootsy,Molly Hatchet w/April Wine,

Outlaws,UFO,Charlie Daniels w/Bonnie Raitt,Bob Dylan,Tom Petty,YES -multiple times,Little Richard,

Elvis Costello,Neil Young,The Jackson 5,Ferrante and Teicher,KISS,.38 Special-why?,The Residents with Snakefinger,Julian Lennon

Ziggy Marley,Lynard Skynard,Farm Aid 2,Multiple Willie Picnics,Grateful Dead,Jerry Garcia Band,

James Brown,Albert King,Johnny Clyde Copeland,Sippie Wallace,Albert Collins,The Busboys,Arnett Cobb,ABWH,Albert King........

And alot more I've forgotten.

EDIT: Roger Waters,The Firm,Page/Plant,Van Halen,ZZ Top.........and how the hell did I forget King Crimson and Frank Zappa?
  16. runmikeyrun

runmikeyrun

There's no way I could list them all, it's literally hundreds.

Datsgor, too bad you weren't at Cliff's 2nd gig, that's the one that is in Cliff Em All :) Seriously though, definite cool points for being at that show, I would have loved to see that. I was 7 years old though living in Ohio, probably wasn't going to happen!
  17. mellowinman

mellowinman

Kiss
    Rush (many times)
    Aerosmith (many times)
    Ted Nugent (many times)
    Cheap Trick
    Alice Cooper
    Nazareth
    The Who
    Uriah Heep
    Golden Earring
    The Grateful Dead
    Pink Floyd (no Roger Waters, but still a cool show)
    Guns N Roses
    Ozzie (with Randy Rhodes!)
    Motorhead
    Little River Band
    The Moody Blues (many times)
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Iron Maiden
    Al Stewart
    Edgar Winter's White Trash
    Journey
    REO Speedwagon
    Styx
    Chris Isaac
    Tom Petty
    Yes

All of these were really pretty great.

I've seen quite a few more. I started my concert career in 1976 with Kiss.

I did a lot of concerts in the late 70's and in the 80's.

I don't go to many now.
  18. Time Monkey

Time Monkey

bad religion

pennywise

metallica

coheed and cambria

tool

red hot chili peppers

village people

sum41

slayer

megadeth

anthrax

ac/dc

ozzy

black label society

mars volta

system of a down

no use for a name

against me

yellowcard

nofx

reel big fish

black sabbath (as heaven and hell)

green day

blink182

jimmy eat world

incubus

kid rock

judas priest

audioslave

social distortion

lamb of god

hatebreed

the sword

billy idol

john michael montgomery

new found glory

dropkick murphys

----

tons more i cant remember.
  19. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

black sabbath
    the who
    eric clapton
    van halen
    accept
    gary moore
    motley crue
    ac dc
    ozzy
    dio
    yngve malmsteen
    triumph
    warrant
    poison
    skid row
    rhcp
    joe satriani
    steve vai
    robert plant
    page/ plant
    black eyed peas
    gwen stefani
    britney spears
    mc hammer
    c and c music factory
    that rico suave guy
    rush
    judas priest
    arturo sandoval
    doc severinsen
    herbie hancock roy hargrove
    kermit ruffins

all in no particular order

First one was Black Sabbath in 1982 the last one was gwen stefani and the bep's in 2007 (iirc) on her harajuku girls tour, I took my three neices only reason I saw them. pretty decent show though. no wait it was steve vai that was the last one I went to. he filmed one of his latest dvd's that night and let every one know that he was. I rented it when it came out but werent to many shots of the crowd.
  20. Datsgor

nothing bad...just an indifferent face about telling the little tidbit......:)