1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Baoding Balls, Iron Balls, Exercise Balls.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by thefruitfarmer, Apr 2, 2014.

1. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

I got myself some Baoding Balls the other day and I am really feeling the benefit.

vid

After a week, my hands are loosening up a lot and getting stronger. Also, it is quite good fun to do, like a meditation it requires a certain calmness of mind and it tickles the pressure points on your hand as the balls move around.

I got them from a Chinese Doctor, who said to just play with them at first, no more than one hour per day and to learn something each time you pick them up. It is more of a workout than I thought and you could overdo it...

Has anyone got any experience? How good are they for bass playing? Any potential problems with their use?

2. Ken J

Ken J Coginchaug New Horizons Band/Skinning Cats Gold Supporting Member

3. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I won't say that hand balls are bad for you, but they do nothing to help your playing. The only thing that helps your playing is playing.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fearceol

fearceol Supporting Member

I agree with Jimmy in that they do nothing to help your playing. However, they can help to keep the hands supple and in good condition, especially when you dont have the bass to hand (pardon the pun !). They are certainly more beneficial than the grip gadgets that people often use, but to play anyway good, you have to...well...play..:)