1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bar band Gigs are too long

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by glenb73, Jan 5, 2014.

1. glenb73

glenb73

I would much prefer to play 1.5 hr set (15-17songs) and call it a night. But in all the bar bands I been in they wanna play 35+ songs for 4 hours. To me, its not fun after a while and it becomes a real chore to have to play so many songs.
    Even real super star legendary bands, the usually play 20-22 songs tops and thats it.
  2. tuBass

tuBass Supporting Member

did somebody not tell you that you are there to entertain the masses? Masses come and go all night, and you're supposed to be there for all of them.

Tell you what. hold a concert, sell tickets, and you get to set the starting and ending times. Until then, you're being hired by somebody else to suit their needs, not yours
  3. glenb73

glenb73

so i gotta stand up there for 4 hours to entertain a bunch of people (who arent even listening anyways), get home at 3am in the morning....for like $25 ? LOL no thanks, not fun
  4. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

It's interesting how different the live music scenes are from city to city. In the Boston/Cambridge/Somerville rock scene (at least when I was active in it), 90% of the gigs are 3 or 4 hour-long slots which includes setup and breakdown. So, if you have your act together, you can get a 45-minute set in. Virtually every venue has a full PA with sound person and many have at least a partial backline. Same deal in the six or seven clubs I played in NYC.
  5. glenb73

glenb73

yea, it so not worth it, especially playing at a dive where people arent even listening. Better off just jamming with some friends in a garage band
  6. obimark

obimark

I have always said this- Most of the bands I have been in are really only good for two sets (~22-24 songs) The rest is either songs that aren't as good, aren't as tight, aren't as polished and frankly by the third set I am tired, my back is sore, and I agree it isn't fun any more. The first two sets I am golden.
    All good, all fun, plenty of energy.
    Guess I was cut out to play with a major act but it just didn't happen.
    Now get off my lawn!!! ;-)
  7. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

I'm with you, but then again the bar band game is not for everyone. I learned that the hard way. Never again.
  8. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

$25 for 4 hours?
    You're at the wrong gig, my friend.
  9. glenb73

glenb73

exactly, thats how i feel, two sets , then time to go home, the 3rd set is so late and im so tired, jsut wanna get the hell out of there.
  10. tuBass

tuBass Supporting Member

if they aren't listening, maybe the problem isn't them...

I play from 8 till midnight, make $80-100, three sets, two breaks, home by 1AM.
  11. glenb73

glenb73

8pm start time would be great, but here we can't start until 10pm. I dont know why but thats what all these bar owners want.
  12. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Gassin' for a Warwick Dolphin V Supporting Member

That's the reality. You are there to entertain the patrons and keep them drinking. From 9 until close. The bar owner is running a business. You get paid because of that fact. If you want to play shorter gigs, join an original act and showcase for little to no money and share the bill with one or more other bands on a week night (not Friday saturday). Build a following and start to open for major acts. 30-45 minute sets.

Major acts do not play bars. They play venues of larger scale.

Some major acts play for 3 or more hours also.

You could also play at low volume in a restaurant or coffee houses... backyard parties. Private parties.

Other than that you are a live action jukebox paid to play music to drinking patrons to make money for the bar. REALITY.
  13. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I don't mind the four hour bar gigs but I usually won't do them for less than $100 per band member. Also you need to have a different mind set. You should be doing it because you enjoy it. You want to get up in front of people, entertain them and make them want to not only pay attention but get up and dance! I look at these gigs as my fun night out. Instead of going out to a bar to hang out and drink, I get to go to a bar and play music and also hang out and drink during breaks!
  14. glenb73

glenb73

I think me too, a few more of these long long long gigs and I'm done, it's not worth it, and not fun. I'd rather just find some like-minded musicians and jam in a studio for an hour or two
  15. glenb73

glenb73

True, in the cases where the people are actually listening and dancing (rare), it's fun, but not after 3 hours
  16. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

I find the assumed polarity of sucking it up and playing to drunk patrons for scraps, and being stuck in epically unsuccessful originals bands to be quite amusing. Makes you wonder, why be a musician anyway if that's the only choices you 'realistically' get.
  17. dmusic148

dmusic148

Well, no, you don't. Your gig sucks. Get better gigs.
  18. NeverIsNow

NeverIsNow

$25? How many people are in your band and how much is the band as a whole getting paid? If it was me and they weren't listening, and I wasn't getting paid very much, then I wouldn't play that gig again.
  19. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

But others will. Never a drought of desperate bar bands. Remember, the drunker the patrons, the better the band sounds anyway. :bag:
  20. azureblue

azureblue

When I started playing on Bourbon Street way back when it was 5 sets a night 5 to 6 days a week. My current bar band does two 1 1/2 long sets. We can get momentum going that way and really work the crowd. I like the energy a band can make if it plays long shows..