1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Barber Deep Fryer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johnk_10, Jan 7, 2014.

1. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I always wanted to try a Barber Deep Fryer but they're pretty rare and were discontinued quite a few years ago. Fortunately, a TB member had an early DF V1 (single drive version) that he attempted to rehouse but somehow ended up breaking it in the process. after a few attempts at contacting Dave Barber for info (who, IMO designs excellent sounding pedals and is generally very helpful), and no reply, he ended up sending it to me to see if I could repair it and/or clone it. I ended up doing both. :)

I first fixed it to see what it sounded like, and it sounded great, so the next step was to clone it on veroboard.

I followed the circuit exactly and i'm happy to say that mine sounds identical to the original.

here's a pic of it before I box it up, and i'm going to use a smaller 1590B enclosure for it, since the original came in a 1590BB.

[​IMG]

the controls are:
    Fry (distortion)
    Dynamics (goes from highly compressed dirt to an uncompressed 'open' less dirty tone
    Tone (filters the highs)
    and Volume

there's also in internal trim pot to adjust the amount of the overall low end.
  2. karter2000

karter2000 Supporting Member

Cool, this is one I've been interested in a while. Are you going to do clips?
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dave's stuff is great. Wish I'd have got a second Linden EQ before he disco'ed it.
  4. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

The Deep Fryer is adapted from the Burn Unit, which are fairly abundant. It might be possible to mod those for bass.

It's a heck of an OD. I have a dual channel version and *it was the end of my OD quest.* The only thing I would change about it would be to add separate dynamics and tone controls for each channel. Anybody wanna swap two single-channels for my dual? :D
  5. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Regenerate Guitar Works
    Sounds like a JohnK custom waiting to happen. ;)
  6. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses

as soon as I get it boxed up I will.
  7. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Or maybe just 2 single-channel versions, since I'm a cheapskate.

Great to see this pedal getting interest. @Johnk_10: Does your build incorporate the internal bass trimpot? (I don't know if the original had that; it's a bass boost and it's absurdly powerful. I use it to CUT the low end a touch a touch!
  8. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    yes, mine does include the trimmer, but I didn't find it to be all that 'powerful' on the original pedal or my clone of it (they sound exactly the same).
  9. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

How did you learn to do all of this stuff? I can barely use a razor without cutting myself.
  10. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I've been building/restoring/repairing guitars, basses, amps and pedals since 1973, so it didn't happen overnite.
  11. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    DONE!

[​IMG]

...................and it's absolutely awesome! clips coming tomorrow.......
  12. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

Clips clips??
  13. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    it's going to have to be tomorrow for them. unfortunately, it's too late to make them tonight. I also made a deluxe version with eq (external mids and bass controls & internal pre-gain note shape and presence trimpots) that sounds awesome too. i'm boxing that one up right now.

here's a pic of the deluxe version's board:

[​IMG]
  14. gregmon79

Awesome work john. Thanks for the update. Can't wait to hear it!
  15. karter2000

Would you say the schematic of the Deep Fryer is similar to the Small Fry, sans the trimmers? Just wondering as I have the schem of the Small Fry, and was thinking of breadboarding it tomorrow.
  16. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    it's similar but there are a few big differences. there's also some errors on that schematic in the post eq tone stack. I built that one yesterday but it didn't sound very good.

BTW, just got the Deep Fryer Deluxe EQ finished and it sounds frickin' awesome. :hyper:

[​IMG]
  17. karter2000

Thanks John, good to know. The Deluxe looks amazing!
  18. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    here you go.............

the Deep Fryer. first bypassed, then set clean, then various gain settings:

and the Deep Fryer Deluxe Eq does all of the sounds of the Deep Fryer above plus these slightly different settings. first bypassed, then set clean, then various gain & tone settings
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014 at 3:58 AM
  19. gregmon79

Awesome! Thanks john. Going to listen right now.
  20. gregmon79

Those were some really sweet sounding demos john. I like the warmth of the deep fryer. It has a character not quite inherent in some other OD's. Kind of a voice all it's own. What's it based off of again? It can get quite hairy for an od as well. I dig it. Once again, very good job john. I think having a mid control on the deluxe would help in certain situations as well.