Barry White's Bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by deb, Nov 4, 2012.

1. deb

deb

Anyone know who played bass on Barry White's 1974 hit "You're the first, the last, my everything"?

Thanks

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I don't know about 1974, but Nathan East worked for Barry White during the 1970s.

3. bottomzone

bottomzone

I agree. It was probably Nathan East.

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Nathan East to the best of my knowledge. He started playing with Barry at 16.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Cool. Here I would have expected it to be the Philly Sound house band bassist.

7. B String

B String Supporting Member

I don't recall Nathan working with Barry till the later 70's. I could be wrong.

8. Dr. Cheese

Barry White was Nathan East's first major gig. That was how he broke into the business.

9. B String

B String Supporting Member

Barry took him from San Diego to L.A. by way of touring. Barry introduced him to tons of people in Los Angeles. Nathan turned many of those introductions into gigs or sessions. He was not only in the right place at the right time, but he was musically and socially ready for every opportunity.

10. deb

deb

Thanks everyone. This has been most helpful.

11. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

How about -- Wilton Felder on bass with drummer Ed Greene. (This is just an educated guess, based on the fact that they have other credits with Barry.) Nathan East may have toured with Barry as a young pup but I don't think he was in the studio this early.

edit: here's a "source," for what it's worth: http://www.superseventies.com/spwhitebarry.html:
    "White's 1974 release Can't Get Enough is the most consistent in his discography, and an all-time classic of baby-making bedroom soul. It begins, as many White projects do, with an opulent instrumental. "Mellow Mood Part 1" serves as a showcase for the band of ace session musicians White kept on retainer, which included rhythm guitarist Melvin "Wah-Wah" Watson and Crusaders' bassist Wilton Felder. Then comes "You're the First, the Last, My Everything," a driving disco anthem that became the blueprint for big hits by Donna Summer and others. It might just be the one track that best epitomizes the songwriting and production innovations of disco."

12. Dr. Cheese

I said I was not sure about Nathan East on music from the early Seventies. The stuff from maybe 1976 onward, I think is more likely to be Nathan East.

13. tal213

tal213

yeah i think East was the road bassist. i have been trying to find out who was/were the bassist for the White, Gene Page 20th Century sessions for years. the only names i came across as far as the actual studio guys is Ed Greene(drums) and Ray Parker Jr.(guitar) so Felder would be a good guess.

14. Jboogie

Jboogie

Wow,I didn't know this.

15. Dr. Cheese

I'm going to nitpick here. Wilton Felder was really the saxophonist for the Crusaders. Pops Popwell was their bassist during the 1970s.

16. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

Wait...wot? Barry White had a bass player????

I thought his voice alone was the bass!

This is classic...coarse language, but Barry at his best!!

17. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Keep diggin', man. Wilton played both sax and bass, and he killed on both. He played on a lot of funk and pop bass tracks in the 70's. His studio work outside of the Crusaders was mainly on bass.

18. Dr. Cheese

I know Felder played sax and bass. I think his most famous line is "I Want You Back" with the Jackson 5. My point is that Felder played very little bass with the Crusaders, that is why I objected to him being called the Crusaders' bassist. That was his sax band. The bass guitar was his meal ticket in the studio.

19. SoCal1

SoCal1

Felder was the founding sax player of the Jazz Crusaders. Buster Williams played string bass on many of the Jazz Crusaders straight ahead jazz recordings of the 60's (pre Crusaders). Felder did develop into a first call R&B electric bassist in the L.A. studios in the 70's, but not a factor on bass in the Jazz Crusader days.

20. Dr. Cheese

That's education for me! I did not know Buster Williams played with the Jazz Crusaders.

21. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

Max Bennet also played with the Crusaders. Wilton was the bassist on a lot material before the mid 70's, the two great albums, Chain Reaction and Southern Comfort, Wilton played bass on.