1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bartolini 69j pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lovethegrowl, Dec 18, 2013.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

What's the deal? Bartolini boasts of having a Jazz pickup that's a split coil pickup? Aren't Jazz's single coil BY DEFINITION!!! does anyone know anything about them? I'd call Bartollini but talking to a sales rep is dang hard. In the past I have called about their preamps.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Not all Jazz sized pickups have to be single coil. SGD makes a side by side dual coil humbucker in a Jazz pickup. Plus just about every pickup maker offers a jazz sized split coil or stacked coil.

3. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Hmmmm, guess they don't growl much eh?

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Not sure about those specific Barts, but many split coils sound just like single coils. It's all in the design.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oh, yes they do - split coil humbuckers have much the same sound as a single coil, because they have a lot of the same design. The width of the magnet/coil structure is the same, so the aperature of the magnetic field is the same.

They typically have just a tiny bit less top end and don't sound quite as raw as single coils, but they're usually very, very close. You basically trade off a tiny amount of sparkle+rawness for zero hum, even with a pickup soloed.

Side-by-side humbuckers are pretty different from split coils and single coils because they have a wider aperature - more of the length of the string is covered, which generally gives a thicker, less sharply defined tone.

I've got 59Js in a Modulus Genesis, they growl plenty.

7. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Hmmm I haven't had much experience with humbuckers. I always perceived single coils (P bass) as being the beefiest. However, guess I have to take into account the position of precision pickups (near neck) low frequency emphasis. Also Precisions have strong, very hard transient response. Punchy attack.

Anyway, thanx. I just decided to take off the Carvin J99a single coils off my Ibanez, then put back the DX6 humbuckers back on, give them another chance-see how they make my TI strings sound. (See what I wrote in this section about string/pickup interface.)

8. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

P bass are split coils....humbuckers.

9. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    Hello LTG welcome

I love single coil J pickups, but you should try listing to some different J pickups out there.

Most pickup manufactures do offer Js in dual coil design.
    Check out the J tone stickies...You will learn a lot.