Bartolini 9J1 Bridge Pickup Sounding Thin with P Mix - Audio Sample

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tastybasslines, Jan 20, 2014.

1. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I finally finished installing a Bartolini 9J1 Bridge pup in my ESP 214 P/J. It sounds awesome soloed, which is how I play - sometime only on the bridge a lot. I tend to either solo the P or J mostly, so this isn't THAT big of a deal, but when I blend the 2 pup's it sound very thin in the middle (at around :35 of the video) and all the bass drops out. In this sample, I have the tone rolled all the way off, and start with the J on full and with each successive rift, add in just a dribble of P...maybe 1 or 2 points on a scale of 10. I also noticed that when I use the P soloed, and this could be my imagination, but sounds a bit more bassy and deeper than before. What's going on? The same thing happened with the P up full and rolling in the J. I recorded direct with no effects whatsoever.

The Bart is a split coil, and I thought the P was too before I installed it, so it should be compatible. Could it be that the P is actually a single coil? I thought there was no such thing as a single coil P in this configuration (split pickup shells).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txGT2kyXB5I

[​IMG]

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

You have them wired out of phase. Reverse one of them.

3. tastybasslines

This is a pic before final install. So I need to reverse the braided wire to the middle pot and the copper wire? You can click the pic to make it bigger.

[​IMG][/URL]

4. Bobster

Bobster

Hey, TBL...

Did you get your leads reversed, and did it make a difference?

Bob

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tastybasslines

Here are the clean before any work pic and the current situation. I noticed that the metal on the grey and red wires was touching and I had a tight solder, so the awkward position could not be avoided. In the current pic, I snipped the grey wire so that it is no longer in contact with the red and was going to solder it to the other side like in the fresh pic. Then I realized that there is a copper inner wire and a metal outer. I'm pretty sure the outer metal part of the grey goes the blob on the top of the pot like in the first pic - where does the copper part of the grey go?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Bobster

Bobster

HI TBL,

Let's review. I expect a Bart 9J1 to have 5 wires. Red, green, black, white and shield. Is this what you have?

Normal wiring is for the black to go to the pot lug, the green and shield to be shorted together and to go to ground, and the red and white to be soldered together and taped off.

If it's wired that way and sounds thin, swap the green/shield and the black. Keep the red and white together.

Let me know if this makes sense to you.

Bob

8. tastybasslines

The bart is in the pic above.

9. Bobster

Bobster

TBL,

Looks like you have a braided wire and a clear-cased wire. The clear-cased wire is going to the pot leg, and the braided one is going to the case ground, just reverse them.

Put the braided wire on the pot leg, and the clear-cased wire on the case.

That should do it.

Bob