1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bartolini 9JL question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MIMike, Dec 23, 2013.

1. MIMike

MIMike

I bought a pair of Bartolini 9JLs off CL a while back and just installed them in a new "project" bass. I have been dreaming of putting a bass together for years now that ran the PUs directly to the output jack (after going through a three way switch. I ended up taking a 2005 Jazz Bass 24 that I picked up at a pawn shop a few years ago. I gutted the electronics (that I didn't care for anyway) and wired up my dream setup.
    Now, I seem to have the old single coil hum that I have on the rest of my jazzes. It sounds awesome, but with each pickup soloed, it is more noisy than I think humbuckers should be.
    OK, now to the point; how can can I tell for sure that I got the 9JLs that I thought I was buying in the CL deal? The only images I find of the wiring and back side of the pickups looks like what I have, but it also looks like my other two sets of single coil Bart's.
    Any help with the ID would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

That doesn't look like my9Jl pickups. Mine have a metal backing and 9JL is electric penned into the metal.

3. BruceWane

BruceWane

All Bartolinis I've seen have a visible copper plate on the back with the model designation engraved, looks like it's done with a hand-held engraver you might use to mark tools, etc. 'cause it's a little sloppy.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Not all have a copper plate, but all do have a rough looking hand engraved model number either in the plate or in the epoxy if there is no plate.

Such as this:
    [​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson

They may be 9SU pickups. Bartolini has a Facebook page that they respond on. They might be able to ID them?

7. MIMike

MIMike

Thanks for the replies. I have a couple of other sets of Bart single coils in other basses. I'm going to look at those pretty soon to see what they show on the back. The one's I pictured here have 4 lugs on the bottom of each PU, but only one shielded wire coming off the pickup. I can't see any model number on any of them, and I know none of my Bart's (3 sets of J's and one set of P's) have any copper foil on the bottom of them. Most of mine are pretty old, one set I've had for more than 30 years now.
    I will try cleaning off the bottom to see if I can see any engraving.

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

8. Rodslinger

Rodslinger

Those look exactly like the Bartolini jazz bass pickups MTD (michael Tobias) had made for his MTD Grendel & Beast basses made in the Czech Republic. I had two of those basses & yes the Bartolinis in those were single coil. Michael Tobias had Bartolini custom make those pickups. The pics you posted are an exact match to the Barts in my MTDs.

9. Rodslinger

Rodslinger

Get some magnetic field viewing paper & lay it over the top of pickup. You will be able to see if it's split coil, single, etc.

10. MIMike

MIMike

Thanks, I should replace the strip I have...wasn't able to see the magnets with my little 3/4" circle of it.
    I did pull them out and clean off the bottom. There is no marking at all. The P- pickup I bought at the same time is marked just like the pic posted by mmbongo. I still need to pull my other two sets of J Bart's to see how they are marked.