Bartolini Jazz pickup replacement recommendations?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Razman, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

The Barts I have in my custom fiver are good pickups but they must be the 'deep' model because I find myself having to boost my upper mids and highs to get the clarity and aggressive sound I need for what I play. Also, they are single coils and hum slightly when soloed out - I'd much rather try stacked humbuckers if they are available (and possibly add series/parallel switches for each pup).

What other Bart options do I have (like the 'bright' ones) or are there other pickups I should try? My preamp is an NTMB and I'm only running it at 9 volts. I would like to get more upper mids and high so as not to have to crank the EQ all the time; I need an aggressive sound for our nu-metal, metal and hard rock stuff we play.

Also, my bass has a mahogany back, flame maple top, maple w/rosewood stringers neck, ebony fretboard, and there is a rosewood tone block under the bridge (it mates with the mahogany). I get tons of sustain; I'm using a set of Circle-K .150's round-wound strings.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any input.

Raz

2. JustForSport

JustForSport

3. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd just go EMG PJ or PJX's and a BQS pre. That's what they do. OK, so I'm an endorser, but I've used EMG's since 84 and I've only been an endorser for 3 weeks ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Never seen an EMG shaped like that though.

I'd look at Delano if not another Bart model, will these fit?
    http://www.bestbassgear.com/jsbc-5-he.htm

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Oh, I guess you're right. Was thinking they were regular 5-string J sized, but I guess that's the difference between a fresh pair of eyes and last night ;)

8. TheMaynorD

TheMaynorD

I can't speak for the delano J pups but I switched my Bart soapbar a out for Delano's and the delano pups blew the bartolinis out of the water in my opinion. Far deeper sounding and much better lows and highs

9. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

I think my first step would be to try the 'bright' sounding jazz pups, the stacked dual coils. This is the least expensive option and I'm already familiar with the "Bart" sound; the cost to upgrade to Delano's (which I've considered - will do some more research on them) is a lot to guesstimate with.

Overall I'm satisfied with the tone - but think that if the pickups open up more upper mids and highs (which I feel are already present naturally) I'll get close to what I need. I've already got plenty of lows.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Raz