Bartolini Mark II pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chatdawg, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Chatdawg

Chatdawg

Does anyone know if someone makes a direct replacement pickup for Bartolini Mark IIs? They came with my Ibanez BTB 5 string, and no one seems to make a pickup that has the exact dimensions. At least not that I know of.
  2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

3. Chatdawg

Chatdawg

4. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

5. Chatdawg

Chatdawg

6. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

7. Rob22315

Rob22315

There are no direct fit replacements for those pickups. I replaced mine with some Bart P5 sized pickups, in fact, the ones linked in the first response to your post. The cavity had to be widened by 2-3mm and I have gaps at the ends. I filled the gaps with black epoxy putty. Pictures of my mods are in the BTB thread. The P6 size is closer across but I couldn't find a set that size for 5 strings. Here's a link to the thread, see post 650.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=820308
  8. Chatdawg

Chatdawg

I'm probably just going to replace the preamp at this point. Don't like cutting into basses.
  9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Or you could have some custom pups made with your shells?
  10. Chatdawg

Chatdawg

A possibility.
  11. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

I noticed that too, but thought I'd mention them still. The OP would lose 1mm on each end of the pickup, but that may or may not be an issue for him. But they are great sounding pickups nonetheless. :cool:
  12. Rob22315

Rob22315

The mk2 pickups are 29x125 for both the 5 and 6 string configurations and the cavities are cut very close. All the pickups you're suggesting are too tall by 3mm and too narrow by at least 7mm. The gaps at the ends can be easily filled but the cavities will have to be widened to get them in. I own a BTB675 and went through this, successfully, including putting in a real Bart pre along with real Bart pickups.

I did it to solve the problem that my 5 string had 6 string pickups from the factory. The A string sat on the gap between the split coils and sounded terrible. Time and money-wise I would have been better just getting the correct pickups from the factory because I didn't mind the tone. That said, the real Bart stuff sounds great.