1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bartolini MK4 Coil Selector Switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dedoonbass, Nov 17, 2012.

1. dedoonbass

dedoonbass

Hey guys,
    I just ordered a set of Bartolini MK4's from bestbassgear for my Ibanez SR500 and I had read somewhere on this site that these pickups can be wired with a two-way coil selector.
    Has anyone tried this, and what are the benefits of doing so?

Thanks

2. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy Banned

3. dedoonbass

dedoonbass

Thanks man, that's an awesome pdf.
    Do you know what the default wiring setting on a dual humbucker bass would be? My assumption would be parallel, but I wanna make sure as I'd like to have a "normal" mode to go back to...
    Would it be possible then to wire 1x two-way switch and 1x three-way switch. The two way switch for parallel(normal)/series, and the other for all coils/inner coils/outer coils; or would there be a simpler(and possibly less redundant)alternative that would yield similar tonal options with less wiring? Your one switch option sounds tempting, but I don't see 4-way switches available on bestbassgear.com...
    Please bare with me, I have never done a mod like this before and want to get the most out of it.
    Thanks so much for your help and patience, very much appreciated.

4. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy Banned

Default is normally series.

You can do two switches, but I'm not sure if it can be done like you're thinking. If you want to do two switches, probably best to just do one for each pickup that does the same thing (like series/parallel/single, or parallel/inner/outer or something like that).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dedoonbass

dedoonbass

Ok cool, I would actually prefer one switch. I think I want to go with the last option in that pdf from Bartolini. If I understand it correctly, I would use 1x three way "on-off-on" switch for both pickups; with controls being: outer coils/all coils(switch deactivated)/inner coils.
    Let me know if I've got this right. I think you may have yours wired in a similar(or the same) fashion.

7. dedoonbass

dedoonbass

8. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy Banned

9. dedoonbass

dedoonbass

Excellent. Thanks alot, you've been extremely helpful. This should breathe some new life into my SR500, I'm stoked to hear it once everything gets here.

10. ex-tension

ex-tension