1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

    The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

    Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bartolini MKII; annoying problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lethargica, Jan 25, 2013.

  1. Lethargica


    Jan 23, 2013
    Likes Received:
    I have this really annoying problem with my Bartolini's. My bass is an Ibanez SR905.

    They're active ones, right, and they keep draining battery power even when I'm not plugged in.

    For example, I put in a fresh battery and maybe not play for a couple of days. When I plug it in it has either really low power or the battery is completely dead.
    It's obviously a cable-problem but I haven't been able to fix it. Even let some dudes at the ESP office in Finland take a look at it and replace some of the wiring in there.

    Any tips? Or should I maybe consider getting brand new pickups? (Might be the actual mic's themselves that are screwed, I don't know)

    This is really frustrating when you are on tour... :p
  2. Crater


    Oct 12, 2011
    Likes Received:
    It sounds like the TRS output jack is messed up. It should disconnect the battery when the plug is removed. It would be very easy to see if this is the case with a multimeter. It's very unlikely the problem is actually with the pickups.
  3. Maz


    Jan 9, 2011
    Likes Received:
    Bartolini MKII aren't active pickups, it's the preamp that's active.
    I second Crater's comment. The jack is a mechanical switch; when there's nothing plugged into it the battery ground is lifted and there's no way for the battery to drain. There is either a short on the jack wiring or the jack is maybe shorted against some shielding?

Share This Page