1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bartolini NTMB distorting when EQ is boosted

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by EAdanikDG, Feb 17, 2013.

1. EAdanikDG

EAdanikDG

I just put a set of P2 pickups (wired in series) and a NTMB preamp into my Lakland 55-01 and have found that when I boost any or all of the EQ controls all the way up or close to all the way up and dig in, I hear clipping (distortion). I have played with the gain trim and it is almost all the way down (can't actually hear much of a difference in output when changing the position of the trimpot). It also doesn't depend on the controls of the amp. Ie: it doesn't matter if the gain is cranked or all the way down and the master is cranked or somewhere in the middle. It also occurs at all volume settings on the bass, low or high and also at generally high or low volumes (overall volume considering bass and amp settings). It also occurs at all pickup blend positions.

Is this normal? If not, what could be the problem?

2. fenderphil

fenderphil

3. EAdanikDG

EAdanikDG

Changed the battery, still happens.

4. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Changing the trim pot up or down should have a big change in output of the bass. Something is wrong with one or the other it sounds like...

P2s are pretty low output I had them in a Warwick Streamer Stage 1 and switched to Seymour Duncan active soaps and Seymour Duncan 3 band never looked back was a huge improvement IMO.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. EAdanikDG

EAdanikDG

The P2s wired in series do have high output. Maybe the trimpot is designed for lower output levels (parallel wired pickups) so it's not in its operating range or something. Still doesn't explain the distortion though.

7. Mousekillaz

Mousekillaz

I have to dial the trimpots back on my Killer B to prevent it from distorting. Still has plenty of headroom.

8. EAdanikDG

EAdanikDG

Note: It is only distorting when any or all of the EQ controls are FULLY boosted (or close to fully boosted as well I guess, but the distortion is more subtle. It is also more subtle when only one EQ knob is boosted as opposed to all 3).

9. belzebass

belzebass

I had the signal distorted all the time with an old NTBT, due to the really high output of the pickups. The trimpot changes the gain at the exit of the preamp, and the distortion appears on the earlier stage inside of the preamp. I added a second battery for 18v function, it cured the problem.

10. EAdanikDG

EAdanikDG

That sounds feasible as series wired pickups have much higher output. However, I still don't understand why it only distorts when the EQ is boosted.

11. EAdanikDG

EAdanikDG

Bump, anyone else have any ideas?