Bartolini pre-amp and pickups on Carvin ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Damian, Oct 25, 2000.

1. Damian

Damian

I have a Carvin LB-75 with pickups configuration J99/HB2. I love the bass, the feel, the looks, playability and all but I don't think I'm the only one here who thinks that its electronics are kinda weak. I've always loved Bartolini pickups ( back home I used passives ), and I'm thinking about putting them into Carvin ( active/passive )

Has anyone of you done that ?

BTW, I called the number from Bartolini's web site and the guys told me it'll cost me about $250. Since I have a friend at the guitar store and also can get 3 band pre-amp sent to me from my friend's old bass who lives in Europe, It won't cost me that much. Do you think that's Bartolini and Carvin will be a good match ?

I've not seen anyone on this board talking about changing electronics on their Carvins to Bartolini's.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Damian

[Edited by Damian on 10-25-2000 at 12:42 PM]
  2. Damian

Damian

Hmm,

Bartolini makes MM replacement pickups for 6 string basses but I'm not sure If it's gonna fit. You would have to contact them directly or go to you local Bartolini dealer and find out. I'll be putting Bartolini 3-Band; Controls: Push-pull active/passive master volume, pan, treble, mid & bass; Bridge pickup coil selector switch. Exactly the same as the factory one.

3. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

Hey KONG, John Turner's 8-string fretless has an 8-string MusicMan pickup that was custom-made for him by Seymour Duncan. I bet they'd make a 6-string version for you.
  4. Damian

Damian

Just to let you know what I was told by the technician at Carvin. I had some questions about electronics just right after I got the bass. The guy told me If I ever make a decision to replace the pickups, I should not choose Duncans because basically they sound similar ( no big diffrence here ). Many of you will probably disagree but that what he told me. Basicaly I haven't got any respone from you just yet but I think I'll just change a preamp and give the stock pickups a shot. If Basslines are really similar sounding pickups powered by Bartolini preamp, why would I change them ? What do you guys think ?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
    I replaced the two J-style pickups and the preamp in my LB-75 a few years ago. The Barts made it sound more like I wanted but not good enough to keep the bass. Unfortunately it doesn't add much to the resale value either.

Good luck.
  7. Casey C.

Casey C.

i wann do the same, i wanna change the elctronics in my LB-75, i have the 2 jazz bass pickups. i wanna get something different. i wanna get a sound simular maybe say Rex Brown of Pantera (i know ill need a ampeg amp for that but i can't afford that) im getting a Carvin Cyclopes amp. i know that the amp might help, but the elctronics are weak. i need to know what electronics i should get. i was thinking could i get my J-style pickup holes routed and put soapbars in there (then again i have no clue about the difference between bass pickups) so can you guys help my out?
  8. Marty Forrer

Marty Forrer

It is quite correct that the most important thing is the preamp. Pups do play a part, but the bart. preamp is really gonna pick your Carvin up. Try that first, then decide whether to change the pups.
  9. Casey C.

Casey C.

Can you suggest some preamps? (brands) im lookin for something cheap but sounds good. i have a 3 band eq, w/ active/passive switch.
  10. Damian

Damian

I just got off of the phone with Tom at T. J. Wagner Sales (domestic retailer for Bartolini) and was given the model number of the pre-amp and a price qoute. It'll cost me $169 for the prewired harness. It's gonna be HR-5.2AP - complete harness - Volume - Blend - Treble - Mid (p-p mid freq.) - Bass - Active/Passive. Do you know of any other place that would sell me this for LESS! Come on, the list price on this one is $186. I bet I can get it cheaper. The question is - where ? :)

Anyone ?
    Thanks

[Edited by Damian on 11-01-2000 at 12:47 PM]
  11. Damian

Damian

KONG,

The prewired harnes is the preamp with 5 knobs, that's it. The splitter stays in the bass and as far as I know it has nothing to do with changing the preamp.
  12. Damian

Damian

By the way, thanks for telling me about bassnw.com
    I just emailed them and waiting for reply.
  13. Bob C

Bob C

I own an LB70 with H50N's, and like everyone else here I've considered replacing the pickups and/or preamp. The bass lacks lows and there is some line noise (preamp, I think).

I'm looking for punchy and not too mellow, and dead quiet. The Carvin pickups have been described by others as "almost good enough sounding".

Lots of people have recommended EMG, but I don't know. I decided to concentrate on finding the ultimate amp for a while, then this thread came along. Keep us posted on the Bartolini thing.

[Edited by Bob C on 11-10-2000 at 12:23 PM]
  14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I have an LB75 ordered that should be built by the end of the year. After seeing a couple of comments such as yours about the pickups, I thought about Bartolinis. I'm considering having Carvin leave the pickups off and have them send it to Lane Poor for installation of Poor's pickups and preamp, especially since Poor's products are so hot right now that their orders are backlogged at least 2 months. From what I've heard from a couple of ex-Bartolini/EMG owners who replaced their pickups, their Lane Poors make their old pickups sound like a Hondo. HOWEVER, I have never had the pleasure of trying out a plank equipped with Lane Poors, plus, people who make such an investment are more likely to rave about the wisdom of their choice instead of letting everyone know they scratched their strings and tuned their ass. I have a post submitted to the Pickups forum on this subject, so you may want to look for it and see if I get any input.

Keep the Hz's low and the db's high,
    rickbass1

[Edited by rickbass1 on 11-11-2000 at 01:14 PM]
  15. Roger Heroux

Roger Heroux

I too have a LB-75 Carvin.Mine is a 1991 with four nobes, three mini toggles and three ways pickup control. I too have thought of Bart's.I have humbukers and love the tone not the noise.I'm having it service as I type for a possible open ground.I'm getting a new Pro-IV amp next week. I should be able to hear all the problems soon. Good Luck! You are not alone.
  16. Bob C

Bob C

Brad,

I can understand if the Carvin wasn't for you, that's the bottom line. But how much of a change did the Bartolini switch make? The preamp had to have been quieter, right?

How many J models does Bartolini make? I was unsuccessful in downloading their catalog.

The Bart loaded basses I've tried in the past sounded kind of bland to me, but over the months and years I've changed my tastes somewhat. Compared to the Carvin H50's, are they warmer, punchier, louder? How about the tonal spectrum? The Carvins seem to have lots more highs than lows.

Damian, what if anything did you end up doing?

Bob
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
    It was an improvement, Bob, though not as much of one as I'd hoped. I was relatively happy with it for almost a year. It did seem to make the bass punchier and it did have a bigger and better defined low end (to me). The Carvin preamp was not noisy at all, there was nothing "wrong" with the pickups, I preferred the warmer, punchier sound of the Barts.

Then I played a Zon Legacy Standard fretless 5...

Here's an MP3 from a few years ago with the Carvin LB75 fretless with the Bart preamp/ pickups, recorded direct:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artist_song/386/386645.html