1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Barts not so hot

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by emblymouse, Mar 29, 2014.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W' Sconsin
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    Advice please:help:

I have a Bart equipped Jazz style bass with their 3 band 9v pre. I love the sound, but it has much less output than my other basses, even the passive ones. I have to turn up the amp so loud to get the normal volume that I introduce an unacceptable level of noise from my amp. The battery is good, I've checked the 2 trim pots on the circuit board, one seems to affect the the 'slap sound' you pull up on the Vol. pot for. I could not determine what the other was for, no real noticeble affect.
    Is this par for the course with the Bart's?

2. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    That's not been the case for me. Barts, IME, have comparable output to other p'ups and preamps.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. inthebassclef

inthebassclef Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    I couldn't give top notch advice, but what I can say is ever bass I have ever had with barts were always lower output than compared to my other active bass. In fact now that you mention it even my passive basses when I have the -15db engaged on my amp. I never really had to crank my amp though, maybe just a half volume notch on my head or 1 volume notch on my combo. hope this helps.

5. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    thats typical with Barts. but lovely sound.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Interesting...if you have a Bart preamp you shouldn't see a circuit board. Barts are normally just a black box with a gain control, which has enough gain on tap to get stupidly loud. Got a pic of the preamp?

7. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I concur. The basses I own/have owned with Bart preamps had gobs of gain.

8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Disclosures:
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Nor do Bart pre-amps have a "slap" switch by pulling the volume knob. Thats a Seymour Duncan pre-amp bro.

Bart pickups typically have a wide freq response because of the lower output, there's no free lunch. Still with a typical NTMB preamp there's tons of gain.

9. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W' Sconsin
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    You are so very correct! I am barking up the wrong pre tree:rollno:

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Newport News, VA via NYC
    Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Open up that preamp cavity. Bart pres have a gain control. Get a screwdriver and turn it up until you get the output you desire.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Like Doug said, it sounds like a Seymour Duncan pre which does not have a gain control.

12. and is VERY low output IME