1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Barts stuck in body

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by oenomaus, Jan 16, 2013.

1. oenomaus

oenomaus

Sorry to bother you all but I have never adjusted pickup height and I am wondering if I am missing something. I have bart pickups in P/J configuration. I removed the screws completely and even used eyeglass screwdriver to try to shift the pickups. They barely budge. I can hear a little pop, but the shift is minuscule. What could be going on?
  2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Maybe they've adhered to the supporting foam beneath. You may want to try repeated rocking back 'n forth to loosen things up a bit. There's not much "wiggle room" and the chore is tedious, I know. Don't attempt to pry them up...you'll end up gouging the finish or pickups themselves.

Riis
  3. Bart277

Bart277

thought you were on about me for a minute
  4. Steveaux

Steveaux

There ya go!

:D
  5. oenomaus

oenomaus

Haha
  6. oenomaus

oenomaus

Thanks. Simple common sense, but we all make the mistake of playing around with the bass in the midnight hours. I knew that my reasoning ability was low and decided to stop and ask the obvious before I did something rash. All of them are stuck by the way.

Thanks, I will try some patience.
  7. oenomaus

oenomaus

I finally got around to getting those pickups up. I had made another failed attempt before today but decided to wait until Saturday so I had more time and rest for the challenge.

Well, my thumbs are pretty sore, but I just used some elbow grease and wiggled the pick up back and forth until one of us gave. Luckily it was the pick up. I started by pressing on the bottom string side, wich raised the top string side and visa versa. I spun the bass in my lap for different angles. I also loosened the strings. (I had not tried the first two attempts). Eventually, I slowly raised up up the first pickup after about a little under an hour or so. Yeah, that long. (Once my technique was down, it took about 5 min for the second pickup to start moving) All in all, it took me about 2 hours playing around with them.

The result? Much better, it also got me to tweaking with my amp head to better understand of how to find what tone I am looking for. The bass is much hotter now and sounds much closer in volume and low end to my other bass. Me happy.