basic 2-10 cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lexington125, Dec 24, 2013.

1. lexington125

lexington125

Is there a 2-10” bass cabinet, with:
    • inline driver placement - not offset
    • ported, not sealed, w/ rectangular port along the long side (front port, not rear)
    • no tweeter, midrange or other drivers

The Ampeg 210AV seemed like it was close, until I learned that only a handful of the early units were ported, and those were tube ports.
    The new fEarless 210 looks close, (correct layout) except for the mid/upper frequency drivers.

I’m sure there are countless others that have all but 1 of the features listed above. But can anyone point me toward any brand/models that have it all?

There are several secondary features like recessed D-handles, restrained graphics, (nothing like the Mark bass orange cones, or anything similarly garish), speakon connectors and NO rat fur. But I figured that I would never find a cabinet if I included all of these 2nd tier requirements. Can anyone point to cabinets that meet the first list? I’m trying to decide between a pair of 1-12 cabs versus 1 or 2 2-10 cabs.

2. Major Softie

Major Softie

And, as we're discussing it, does anyone know if there's any technical information on dispersion of those long rectangular ports when a 210 is set on its side? I know low frequencies are not very directional, but I've always wondered about setting those narrow ports vertically and if that has any impact on dispersion. Intuitively, it seems like a terrible idea, but I know that such intuition does not always align with physics.

3. lexington125

lexington125

to clarify, does anyone make a 2-10 similar to the Barefaced 2-12 (super twin)?
    I'm looking for a cab a bit smaller, and possibly a bit less expensive, but the same configuration as this 2-12 only in a 2-10.

Does this exist?

Attached Files:

• twin.jpg
      twin.jpg
      File size:
      168.2 KB
      Views:
  4. shoot-r

shoot-r

I'd suggest your contacting Don at Low Down Sound.
    He could build "exactly" what your looking for at a very fair price.

When I was putting together my two, 210, vertical 410 rig I was able to locate 14 different models of 210 cabinets to audition.
    Off hand, I can't think of a single one of them that would meet all your stated requirements.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

OP, you are most likely looking for a custom build.
    Driver choice is dependent on your requirements.

If you desire less than full bass extension, you can use a smaller box.
    The Deltalite-II 2510 gains bass extension with the larger box.
    The smaller box is the SBB4 alignment, which has the tightest transient response in a vented box, but with less bass extension.

Link to 2510-II Comparision

This chart is a single 2510-II driver, 2.83v into 8 ohms (1W at 1M) from WinISD.
    Add + 6dB for each doubling of the driver count when wired as Parallel.
    +3 from the double power handling, another +3 from the double cone area.
    Four 2510-II in all parallel wiring produces about +12dB over what is shown here.
    This is approximately 106 SPL at 100 Hz, which competes nicely with the D410-XLT and others.

A point of explanation: the all parallel wiring assume you have a two channel amp, or a single channel amp that is stable with a 2-ohm load.
    The D410-XLT is also is rated at 106 SPL, but is wired as a series-parallel configuration that reduces the amount of noise produced at 2.83 volts.

Link to D410-XLT Chart

Note the D410-XLT in this measurement has much less bass extension, and a hot midrange.
    This is the hallmark of a high efficiency cab, and where the Eden marketing department made their 106 SPL claim.
    The voicing is quite different between the Eden and the proposed 2510 project.

Think carefully before committing to a build.
    Buy once, cry once. Most custom builds have little resale value.

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

http://acmebass.com/#/home

Look for the B2, I own four and they are the best cabinets I have ever used. My avatar shows my series 1 pair. :)

8. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Dang. DNA and TecAmp come to mind, but both are tweeter cabs. The TecAmp M210 does have quiet a range of tweeter crossover settings, which could have an "off" or nearly "off" setting. The DNA (reminds me of an Eden, for good reason) would need to go sideways.

The TC 210 is vertical with a coax tweeter that doesn't sound very tweetery, but it is rear ported.

9. monsterthompson

10. monsterthompson

11. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions...

1) What do you see as the advantage(s) of a rectangular port on the long side vs other types of ports?

2) Is your preference for inline driver placement so that you get improved dispersion in the horizontal plane when the drivers are in a vertical line?

3) You had an earlier thread where you were asking about 4-string-optimized cabs... is any of that applicable here?

Thanks!

12. lexington125

lexington125

has anyone ever heard of these guys? their cabs look beautiful, but I have no idea if they have a clue about how bass cabinets work? (see the description of their "ultra" bass cab for a collection of "deep 15s" and "punchy 10s" type comments)

but they sure are pretty........

13. lexington125

lexington125

1. rectangular ports - nothing scientific, just personal experience (very good experience with a variety of TL806 cabs, and not good experience with several older cabs w/ tube ports)

2. inline - primarily for the very small footprint available w/ this configuration

3. 4-string - yes, no need for any output below 40hz, ever. not sure if that helps, but it is one less thing to be concerned with (decent response from 40 to 1.5kHz would be more than adequate)

14. monsterthompson

15. Tommy L

Tommy L

I use an EA NL210. You can turn the horn down. You might be able to find a used one. The series 1 and 2 have recessed
    handles.

[​IMG]
    Tommy L sends....

16. vmabus

vmabus Supporting Member

Seismic 2x10 arrived last week and sounds much better than I'd hoped!

17. DukeLeJeune

Disclosures:
    Thanks for the further information.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the differences you heard between the TL606 cabs and the older cabs had little if anything to do with the type of port geometry used.

Now there are different schools of thought as to how much low-end extension you need for bass guitar. I subscribe to the "first overtone" theory - that is, reproducing the first overtone at full power is generally sufficient, and that you may not necessarily want to reproduce the fundamentals at full power (can interfere with the kick).

Okay, on to specifics. The Eminence Legend BP-102 10" bass guitar speaker looks to me like a strong candidate for your application. It comes in both 4 and 8 ohm versions. Efficiency is modest, but its generous x-max means that it will handle more power and therefore go louder before fartout than most 10" bass guitar woofers.

You might contact Don Oatman at Low Down Sound about a custom bass cab for a pair of BP-102s. You'd have a wide range of cabinet options, including sealed box.

18. lexington125

lexington125

Duke L J wrote:

"I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the differences you heard between the TL606 cabs and the older cabs had little if anything to do with the type of port geometry used. "

No argument here, but is there any evidence that rectangular ports are inferior in anyway? If there is, then I need to re-think this. OTOH, if both types are equal, I just happen to prefer the rectangle

19. DukeLeJeune

Disclosures:
    Nope, rectangular works fine.

20. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    In theory, port placement doesn't matter as the frequencies they produce are not directional (they spread everywhere and are not focused in any one direction like the speaker is).

In practice, it matters some, not due to the non-directional frequencies, but for things like whether or not some of the higher frequencies coming off the back of the speaker cones can "escape" out the port, how the ports design/construction affects the physical bracing of the box, how their placement affects airflow and cooling of the speaker motors, etc. I've also read things on how a port the has a very high height to width ratio, like something that's an inch tall and 2 feet wide, can restrict airflow, causing box tuning to "wander" at varying power levels, etc.

As to your initial question, my old Carvin 210 cabs as well as many others would fit your criteria if you simply set them on end. Might require adding some small feet to the short side to clear the protrusion of the handle and shutting the tweeter off.

As far as really deep bass extension, if not having full power fundamentals still pleases your ear, you can gain a good deal of sensitivity and shrink the box size if having good output to 60 or 80hz is what you need rather than 30 or 40.