1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Basic Affinity Squier question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FourBanger, Jul 22, 2013.

1. FourBanger

FourBanger

Are Affinity basses made with a thinner body than the typical Precisions or Jazzes?

I ask because the only Affinity instruments I've held are guitars (and the Bronco) and they do have about a 1/4" thinner body, whereas I never hear this about the basses and there are plenty of threads about them here.
  2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Ya know I think that might be the case. I was playing an LPB affinity at samash the other day and it felt smaller than CV/VM/MIM jazzes somehow, but I couldn't figure out what exactly was smaller.
  3. tabdog

tabdog

Yes. Affinities are a little thinner.

Affinities were made in different countries and the
    wood and other materials varies quite a bit.

An Affinity is an Affinity is something else.

Some have nice necks and alder bodies.

Hardware varies and PU's usually suck,

Tabdog
  4. Jamarvic

Jamarvic Endorsing Mofongo! Supporting Member

I remember reading somewhere that the asian models are indeed thinner than their US / Mex counter parts.
    I was looking to mod my affinity jazz V with an audere preamp and there was some mention about that audere might not fit squiers because of thinner bodies.
    It was a tight fit but I installed it without having to rout.
    Hope this helps.
  5. FourBanger

FourBanger

I know from experience that not all Asian models are thinner, both the VM P I've owned and the CV P I've played were standard thickness compared to the MIM 50s P bass I have access to. This has also seemed true for six-stringers, only the Affinity Squiers are, at least currently and recently, thinner.
  6. bryan gibson

bryan gibson

Affinities, both bass and 6-stringers, have thinner bodies (I own one of each), and much cheaper electronics and hardware (same dimensions otherwise). So....if you're doing a hotrod/rebuild/custom thingee and want a lighter body, an Affinity is a good starting point:)
  7. Jamarvic

Jamarvic Endorsing Mofongo! Supporting Member

There ya go. ;-)
  8. FourBanger

FourBanger

Thanks all.

[/thread]
  9. xring

xring Supporting Member

As everyone has already stated, yes, they are thinner. I have two, and confirmed it side X side with my American. I did find that my American J5 is lighter than either. I didn't weigh them, but I can easily feel the difference.