Basic Bluesy Instrumentals

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Shakin-Slim, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Hi there.

I've been asked to play at a blues jam night next Thursday and was asked to think of three instrumentals. I'll be playing with, most likely, just a drummer and guitarist. I have a big music library, but I'm drawing blanks, which is most likely to do with not having played on stage in a few years and being very nervous. We were feeling something bluesy but not necessarily straight up rhythm and blues, something like Kenny Burrell's 'Chitlins Con Carne'. Anyways, I'm looking for something relatively basic that will work in that set up, i.e 'Green Onions' probably won't work without an organ.

I consider myself to be a competent bassist, but my problem is only playing in my bedroom along with records, so this will be a great step for me.

The guitarist and I are into jazz & blues, particularly where those two meet (Kenny Burrell, Big John Patton, Grant Green etc). I'm sure the drummer is too, I've just never met him.
  2. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

I've been considering Montgomeryland Funk and Jumpin with Symphony Sid, just to give you an idea of where I'm going with this.
  3. bearhart74

bearhart74

Cobham's Red Baron is fun
  4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

As is Stratus.

I'll throw in Maynard Ferguson's "Chameleon".

Hot Tuna anyone??
  5. Register to disable this ad