1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

basic pickup info please

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by brendank, Dec 13, 2013.

1. brendank

brendank

hi there new to forum and the bass. bought a "project" RBX 170 from ebay 301025001104 - no specific mention of problem with pickup. As far as I can tell Precision /neck pickup has no output... 3 knobs, middle one and one at the back of bass affects output level (middle for volume of j-type pup in bridge position, rear knob blends both pups). initially ran multimeter over pots, de soldered p-type , no continuity when I connect meter to red and black cables... I'm assuming there should be continuity? told you I was new to this lark.
    Haven't taken out pup but wonder if I'm looking at replacing pickup?
    Bearing in mind £50 / $75 purchase price of bass, what's an appropriate level of pickup? prices? Recommendations? Opinions?
    Cheers!!
  2. JustForSport

JustForSport

The meter should be set to read 'ohms', and read maybe 7k to 9k.
    Should've seen continuity, tho.
    Pickup replacement choice is quite subjective, no opinions there.
  3. line6man

line6man

Pickups don't fail often. It's more likely that there is a cold solder joint, or a broken lead somewhere.
  4. brendank

brendank

with no continuity at the cables - already disconnected from pot in body cavity, is this indicating duff solder on the actual pickup or windings?
  5. JustForSport

JustForSport

Yeah, pickups don't often fail, but I've run across a few open circuits.
    You can connect the meter leads to the pickup leads, then move the pickup leads around a bit (or, as a last try, cut the leads really short, but enough left to extend them) to see if there's a break in them.
    If nothing registers then, it's an open circuit inside- need a replacement.