Bass >$500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fender2015, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Fender2015

Fender2015 Gold Supporting Member

Does anyone have suggestions of what best bass, new or used under $500? G&L, Fender Precision Lyte, Peavey Fury, etc.?
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You mean Bass<$500. Probably going to be Squier if you're talking about new.
  3. Montanamike

Montanamike Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: Atkinson Music, Inc.
    Squire VM jazz. Hard to beat.
  4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Definitely Squier, either Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fender2015

Fender2015 Gold Supporting Member

Any p/j basses?
  7. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Best? I couldn't rightly say. I haven't tried everything out there and I don't know what kind of sound you're looking to achieve.

That being said&#8230;I love my Fender Aerodyne Jazz (light, carved top P/J) and my Blacktop Jazz (Jazz body & neck with a doubled P/P configuration&#8230;very aggressive!). Dunno if it's what you're looking for, but I certainly dig 'em!

A used Aerodyne can be found for $500 +/- $100. A Blacktop Jazz normally goes for $500 brand-new, but right now they're $450 during Fender's summer sale.
  8. pinebrookjohn

pinebrookjohn

Yea go find a g & l the best basses for the price.
  9. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

I love my Ibanez soundgear.
  10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Once again... THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "BEST." That's like asking what the "best" personality is, or the "best" color. It's a matter of personal needs and taste.

In a P/J, the Yamaha BB424x I think just barely scrapes under your $500 limit new. You can occasionally find its various BB ancestors on CL or in the classifieds, but not too often because their owners love them too much...

You can get a Squier VM Jaguar for about $300 new - that's the passive full-scale version. They have active, short-scale, and humbucker versions too, some of them cheaper.

Another one that's a little overlooked and (IMO) underrated would be the Washburn Taurus basses. The T24 or T25 are pretty nice, but they're jazz P/Us rather than P/J. I think the cheaper T14 is P/J.

Used, just check CL and the TB classifieds. Typically a bass that was maybe $750 or so new can be had there for around $500.
  11. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

The alligator should bite to the right.

Take a look at the new Sterling SUB line. Not PJ, but a lot of bass for the money.
  12. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

< means less than cuz it's like the L in less.

Used carvin is my vote.
  13. LeopoldBoom

LeopoldBoom

Take a look at the latest generation of Fender Modern Players too. They seem excellent for the price.
  14. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

15. alexlocurto

alexlocurto

One word- Patience. Everything you can think of is out there for a good price, if you look enough.

Both of my basses, a 1987 MIJ Fender Precision, and an MTD Kingston Heir, I got for under $500. Just check Guitar Center's used stock. Some guys on here might hate the company, and a lot of them have good reason to, but there's a lot of great used gear flowing through that company.
  16. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

Ive got two basses in the classifieds for less than $500.
    However, ill accept greater than if you insist!
    ;)
  17. spufman

spufman Supporting Member

A used Guild Pilot is one hulluva deal. They're in the classifieds pretty frequently and go for disturbingly low $. I've had one in the collection for years. A 4 or a 5, take your pick.
  18. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Schecter Model T is a pretty good p/j and in your price range for sure. Used I see them for about $350 and new isn't a whole lot more as long as you're getting in on a sale which are almost always happening at one dealer or another.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/Products/Bass/Model-T.aspx
  19. George Mann

George Mann

The Fender Blacktop Jazz is a phenomenal sounding bass. I would buy it if I was looking for another full-scale.
  20. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

Squier, Ibanez, Danelectro Longhorn Reissue.
  21. Alex_Of_Icarus

Alex_Of_Icarus

The Blacktop P is also great! Playing it tonight (as well as my Aerodyne P) and I can't F***ing wait!