1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass Advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rtingram, Dec 27, 2012.

1. rtingram

rtingram

Hey guys, I'm new here but I've lurked around every once and awhile so I'm slightly familiar with the site. Anyways, I am seeking your advice on what type of bass I should purchase for my new band. I currently have a Fender fretless Jazz Bass and I love it but I don't think it's best for the project I am about to start up. We are going to be playing some slow, dark, sad music somewhat similar to the newest National album "High Violet."

What type of bass should I be looking into if I'm searching for a very dark, rich sound?
  2. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I would think your fretless jazz would work great for that.
    Solo the neck pick up and may be try some tapewounds.
  3. Fenderfellow

Fenderfellow

former lurker recent joiner myself. i think u cant go wrong with a fender jazz and just use the front pu.
  4. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Agree here.
    However, if you're set on another bass, a P-Bass would get you there too.
  5. rtingram

rtingram

I'll be honest, I'm just wanting to get a new bass, haha.

Are the Fender Reverse Jag basses any good?
  6. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

I would actually say thunderbid on this one. Puts out some dark tones, believe it or not
  7. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

ergonomic nightmare IMO
  8. GhettoSmurf187

GhettoSmurf187

+1
  9. bassbenj

bassbenj

But neckdive city for many people. Try before you buy may be in order...
  10. LarryO

LarryO

if you just want another bass, buy another jazz bass but a fretted one. As far as tone is concerned, thats why you turn knobs, change strings, change pickups, use pedals....etc
  11. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

True. Consider a pro classic. But they use Gibson USA pickups instead of the regular epi non pro pickups, so it could be a different tone altogether

There's straps that stop neck dive, and some DIY work can also fix it
  12. gottawalk

gottawalk

+1. I have two basses, one fretless, one fretted, and because I love the tone and feel of the fretless, they are the exact same brand/style. Makes playing between the two seamless, and I have control and love of the tone on both. If you like your fretless, get the same, fretted, and ENJOY!