1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass Aerobics by Jon Liebman

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by gmahoog, Nov 30, 2012.

1. gmahoog

gmahoog Supporting Member

Has anyone checked out this book? It's one of the best play along books I've ever owned.

There are 52 "workouts" that are very musical. Jon suggests working through 1 workout a week and after a year you'll be through the book. I'm going at my own pace and I'm currently on workout number 20.

This book really hits chromatics and chord/scales for the first 20 workouts. Great range of styles and he has you playing all over the neck.

There are string crossing workouts from 21-30, some slap excercises from 31-40 with the remainder reviewing concepts from earlier chapters.

I highly reccomend this book. :bassist:
  2. MrFrancis

MrFrancis

First book I ordered when I got my bass about 4 months ago, have been doing this weekly and have improved 100x...

the concepts it teaches you are priceless, also I couldn't read a lick of sheet music now I can sight read fairly well.

Working at it once a week is a good schedule to follow, some of the harder excercises take me a bit longer.
  3. Raw Amateur

Raw Amateur

I have this book a well and use it off and on. Some of the excercises I have struggled with because they are a bit fast for me. So I took Audacity and slowed them down just a touch. I want to make sure I am playing them well and slowing it down a bit helps a lot. But I agree, they are fun and my technique has improved quite a bit. I usually use one of the excercises as a warm up.
  4. jonster

jonster

5. MrFrancis

MrFrancis

Wow the man himself! As I've already said it was one of the books I ordered when I first started. Now my mind and hands work together to do things with bass guitar that I can never imagine. What I like is not only the variety of styles but the fact that these exercises are musical. If you aren't sure what notes are what on the fretboard this book will force you to learn within the first THREE excercises. Thanks again Jon Leibman

I'll tell you this though, the book does say "beginner to advanced" it's not for the lazy or underermined beginner
  6. INTP

INTP

This is a good book for someone who is motivated. The exercises will definitely improve one's technique, while being musical as well. If you aren't good at reading bass clef, you will definitely improve that skill, too.

The doesn't teach technique however, so you'll need another source for that. But if you have the basics (e.g. you know how to hold the bass, and you are at least familiar with reading music), then these exercises will definitely help you develop your playing skill.

BTW, if you're comparing it to "Bass Fitness", the main thing that I'd say is that this book is much more MUSICAL. It covers a variety of styles and puts technique in context. For example, the exercises in this book cover 48 bars and include chord changes, while the other book has exercises that cover just 4 bars which are played with a high degree of repetition. This is not a criticism of the other book, but I think the comparison is obvious, and I think this book offers much more.

I wish I had this book 20 years ago.
  7. gmahoog

I think workout #16 is my favorite so far. I'm tempted to play it in "A" instead of "Bb", but the finger stretch at the end is worth the effort.
  8. grittychris

grittychris

Does anyone have any suggested fingerings for these exercises? I'm starting to get a little mixed up on the string skipping, just got to exercise #5 and I feel like I'm all over the neck (not in a good way!)
    Thanks
  9. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Bumping this older post to +1.

I have both bass aerobics and bass fitness and really like both. Bass aerobics is alot more "musical", meaning you are doing exercises within "songs" which is great. I do like bass fitness too as it keeps my technique tight, and I use it to warm up before gigs.
  10. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Not to be flippant but, IMHO its best if you find your own fingering. It is a skill that will come in very handy at times. Just take a section or two and break it down to what works best for you and whats comfortable to your hands.
  11. bobick

bobick

I did have to copy the lesson I was working on then black out the tablature. If I didn't, I found my eyes wandering to the tab. I've been playing for about 4 years and recently decided I wanted to learn to sight read.

This book is great. I am learning to read standard notation at the same time as learning the fret board.
  12. newmusicmichael

newmusicmichael

Good recommendation. Just ordered it for myself.
  13. porterbass

porterbass Supporting Member

Thanks for the thread! I've had this book in my Amazon music wishlist for a bit. Ordered it two days ago and it just arrived this afternoon. Took a quick skim of it and I'm looking forward to diving in. Looks great!
  14. GastonD

GastonD

In general, Mr. Liebman tends to be putting out some very good books. I am especially fond of his inclination to make everything musical/applied, and work in all keys. Plus, there is the suggested listening, historical overview and a hep of valuable advice (well, in his blues, funk and funk/fusion books anyway). I only just got my Bass Aerobics copy, but it does seem quite good.
  15. gmahoog

I need to get back into this book. I got through workout 30 and decided to review earlier workouts. Now I've taken a hiatus for about a year so I guess it's time to start up again.

Thanks for resurrecting the thread. Back to Chapter 1.
  16. basspedaler

basspedaler

another +1! this book has helped so much. as a former trumpeter, it helped me switch to bass clef reading. the long etude form is excellent and the tunes are fun and groovy. I have recommended it to several folks. I too, hit a wall, and layed off. but I am back on the plan and finally working the slap chapter. it is helping me a lot! I do plan on revisiting some of the earlier ones and seeing if i can really nail 'em at tempo now that I have about a year of bassyness in me :hyper:
  17. WesternMeBass

WesternMeBass

I read this thread and ordered the book this morning. While ordering I messed up some of my card info, so the order did not process. During lunch my phone rings and it is Jon checking in with me about the problem with order. Now thats service!
  18. TomCHunley

TomCHunley

I worked my way through this book last year. Best of the 15-20 bass instruction books I've bought. I'm now working my way through Guitar Aerobics, which is even better if possible. The drummer of my band just ordered Drum Aerobics. Wonderfully organized, well thought out instructional tools.
  19. squeally dan

squeally dan Supporting Member

Just got this in the mail and can't wait to get in to it.
  20. Herrick

Herrick

This sounds really cool. I may have to order it.