1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

"Bass ain't supposed to sound like that!"

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by FarkusSWR, Nov 2, 2012.

1. FarkusSWR

FarkusSWR

Sound-checking tonight for a local festival when a guy out in the crowd yells "Bass ain't supposed to sound like that!"
    I was running a EBMM StingRay 4HH through a GB Shuttlemax 9.2, so it was pretty modern-sounding to me, but not excessively so.
    Guess he was a P/tort/flats guy :bag:
    I keed, I keed.
  2. nobodysfool

nobodysfool

Who died and made him the boss?
  3. iridiumrocks

iridiumrocks

Did you ask him what it is supposed to sound like? I would like to hear his answer :smug:
  4. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

It's supposed to sound like "bum bum bubum bum bubum."
  5. brendanbassist

brendanbassist Supporting Member

It's not supposed to make a sound at all.
  6. UrsaMinor

UrsaMinor

I am confused at his comment. You should have just threw your bass at him. Can you hear that? :D
  7. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    And where was his gig that night?
  8. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sounds like some TBers. :D
  9. thunderstation

thunderstation

Never argue with an idiot...they drag you down to their level & win by experience"

+1
  10. ronned2tm

ronned2tm

He's just a twat! It is all a matter of taste! I am totally old school in my sound, but I do definitely respect modern tone as well. Different sounds fits different music styles and fits different tastes.
  11. ArvindJayaram

ArvindJayaram

Did you smile and wave? :D

- Arvind
  12. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

You have to love Mark Twain!
  13. klejst

klejst

Funny I was going to say something along this. If you happen to play metal I bet he was just surprised he could hear the bass...most metal heads are not used to that and really get confused when they can hear that extra low end. :D
  14. kcole4001

kcole4001

And that's when I crank up the gain and hit my overdrive, flanger, and delay pedals and face my 4003 close to the speakers for some unearthly feedback, then shout "how about that then?"
    :)
  15. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

My best friend and sound man gets leery of new fx. For my band's last concert we covered Avenged Sevenfold's "Afterlife" which contains a nasty, grindy bass riff in the intro. I picked up a MXR bass di that gives me that sound (it's used, was at my favorite local shop, and was priced right.)

When I tried it out I got some funny looks and I could feel him seething a bit from behind the board, but the sound was perfect so it's now a permanent part of my signal chain. Can't wait to do "Full Circle" by Otherwise...
  16. Nev375

Nev375

Applause ain't supposed to sound like that.
  17. Russell L

Russell L

--Mark Twain
  18. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

Obviously he KNEW it was a bass.