1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

"Bass ain't supposed to sound like that!"

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by FarkusSWR, Nov 2, 2012.

1. FarkusSWR

FarkusSWR Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Southern DE
    Sound-checking tonight for a local festival when a guy out in the crowd yells "Bass ain't supposed to sound like that!"
    I was running a EBMM StingRay 4HH through a GB Shuttlemax 9.2, so it was pretty modern-sounding to me, but not excessively so.
    Guess he was a P/tort/flats guy :bag:
    I keed, I keed.

2. nobodysfool

nobodysfool

Apr 22, 2010
    Shelby, OH
    Who died and made him the boss?

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. Did you ask him what it is supposed to sound like? I would like to hear his answer :smug:

5. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 EBMM Nut

Jul 5, 2010
    Santa Barbara, CA
    It's supposed to sound like "bum bum bubum bum bubum."

6. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    NM
    It's not supposed to make a sound at all.

7. UrsaMinor

UrsaMinor

Jun 10, 2012
    Knoxville, TN
    I am confused at his comment. You should have just threw your bass at him. Can you hear that? :D

8. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    And where was his gig that night?

9. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    Sounds like some TBers. :D

10. Never argue with an idiot...they drag you down to their level & win by experience"

+1

11. He's just a twat! It is all a matter of taste! I am totally old school in my sound, but I do definitely respect modern tone as well. Different sounds fits different music styles and fits different tastes.

12. Did you smile and wave? :D

- Arvind

13. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    You have to love Mark Twain!

14. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Funny I was going to say something along this. If you happen to play metal I bet he was just surprised he could hear the bass...most metal heads are not used to that and really get confused when they can hear that extra low end. :D

15. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    And that's when I crank up the gain and hit my overdrive, flanger, and delay pedals and face my 4003 close to the speakers for some unearthly feedback, then shout "how about that then?"
    :)

16. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    My best friend and sound man gets leery of new fx. For my band's last concert we covered Avenged Sevenfold's "Afterlife" which contains a nasty, grindy bass riff in the intro. I picked up a MXR bass di that gives me that sound (it's used, was at my favorite local shop, and was priced right.)

When I tried it out I got some funny looks and I could feel him seething a bit from behind the board, but the sound was perfect so it's now a permanent part of my signal chain. Can't wait to do "Full Circle" by Otherwise...

17. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Applause ain't supposed to sound like that.

18. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    --Mark Twain

19. Obviously he KNEW it was a bass.