1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass amp broke down. help

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by shibaku, Feb 4, 2014.

1. shibaku

shibaku

So my friend took my Orange Terror bass 500 to her band practice and when she turned it on, the fuses blew in the practice space and the amp started smoking...

Anyone knows what could have gone wrong here? I'm thinking she didn't hook it up correctly but i think it's strange the entire rooms fuse blew.
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

They had a run with under-spec power supply caps, maybe yours wasn't updated and fell in that build range?
  3. shibaku

shibaku

do you know how i can find out? It's only 6 months old so i still have the warranty but i just want to know wether i was lucky all the time or that she did something wrong
  4. B-string

Unless she somehow rigged up a power cord to plug into the speaker output jacks there is not much she could have done wrong.
    That is why new equipment has a warranty, to take care of components that might fail early in their life. If all those parts survive the warranty period, you can be reasonably sure they will last for many years or decades.
  5. 5port

5port

What other rooms/business is on the same AC line as the practice space? Some of these practice space locations are sharing power with a bar (dirty power).

Some of the class D amps are not happy when the neutral is open on the AC line. If she plugged it into a cheap power strip that might do it.
  6. shibaku

shibaku

Apparently it also blows the fuses at her home whenever she tries to power on the damn thing.

I guess i was lucky the 10 times i used it?
  7. B-string

Not really, you are unlucky to have a unit that has failed. It is rare that it blows a house circuit and not just it's own internal fuse. You have had a rare and odd failure. Stop trying to blame her and have the manufacturer repair their unit ;) STOP trying to power the unit either her or you, just get it fixed.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Combo or head?
  9. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

+1 Before you do some other damage and don't tell them you kept plugging it in and watching it blow up they might not fix it.
  10. shibaku

shibaku

we only plugged it in once more. But it seems like the fuse in the amp is blown as well.

I'm not blaming her. Just needed to know whether it was her fault or not :p
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Combo or head?
  12. B-string

I don't understand the distinction here?
    If the internal fuse blew it should not trip a supply circuit breaker or house fuse. It REALLY should not be doing that under any condition.
    It was her fault she borrowed it when it toasted? Maybe? Like I said before, there is nothing she could have done to "cause" this to happen without building a special cable to hook up line voltage to the speaker outputs. If she managed that with it hooked up correctly or no cab connected it should still not blow a house fuse or breaker. Period.

Combo or amp head only?
  13. shibaku

shibaku

head only
  14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

What cabinets is she plugging into your head.
  15. shibaku

shibaku

I don't know but I use a cheap Harley benton 2x10 at home at really low volumes.
  16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

I'm wondering if she's plugging in a couple cabs below the amp is rated for and there's a fault in the protection circuit for the amp that isn't shutting it down, or there's some kind of short that the amp isn't shutting down for and it's causing so much draw that its blowing fuses for whatever room or place the amp is plugged in.