Bass Amp Head

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MrBKerth, Sep 3, 2013.

1. MrBKerth

MrBKerth Bass Player with Big Local Supporting Member

I know I ask for a lot of opinions on TB (trying to not flood the netz with my newbie questions), but I'm in a predicament :help:

I've got 400 - 500 dollars and the need for a new head. I've got a 72' bassman 50 that works, but I've found myself nervous gigging it due to its age and perhaps false perception of fragility.

What I'm looking for:
    - Giggable Clean
    - Fair amount of Dirty sound Rock thru 80's Metal Era (preferably a little more if possible)
    - Tube Driven (even if just the pre-amp)
    - Auto Biasing (not a deal breaker, just would be very helpful)

I've looked at the Ashdown Ctm-15, but I find it a little dubious that a 15 watt amp would get me to giggable volume when the general consensus here is that my Bassman 50 won't be able to without a little assistance.

Any insight from you more experience gear heads?

2. 137h4lone

137h4lone

what are you running the baseman through ? I've got a baseman 135 I rarely gig for the same reason, its probably just the idea of it though haha

bassman not baseman lol autocorrect

3. MrBKerth

Avatar 2x10 cab with neo speakers and a tweeter

4. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

May be able to get a used Genz Benze Streamliner, that would be my vote. Good mix between clean and tube/driven tones.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Get at least a 212, 410, 215 or 810 and the Bassman will be just fine. 210 and 50 watts is a tough way to go.

7. MrBKerth

8. wighat

wighat

If it was me, and that Peavey Classic was in good working order, I'd make an offer. You're still going to need more cab, though.

9. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

The GB looks pretty cool, good power in a small, light package appeals to me. The Peavey, assuming it doesn't need to be retubed, would be amazing; I love all tube heads. As for the MarkBass I've never played one I've liked, they just aren't what I like tone-wise.

10. MrBKerth

For those saying I need a new/different cab I plan to sell the 72 head (I have a blackface 65' with a leo era faceplate in excellent condition) so I would use the money off that for a 212 or 410. Not sure, I don't know much about cabs

Has anybody played one of those peavey classic 400's? I can't find any reviews on it, and the thing weighs like 100 pounds.