1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

bass amp ... help me choose

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by himluis1, Jan 5, 2013.

1. himluis1

himluis1

ok during the holidays , I sold all my gear to pay for other stuff and christmas presents etc etc ... now im back on my feet with $$$ and im looking for a good bass combo amp , Im stuck between buying a bg250 again or give the gk mb 115 ii a chance ... also there is a peavey 115 300w , im looking for something new , lightweight and around 200+watts
  2. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Supporting Member

You can get the Peavey TNT with 400 watts for $400. It is a lot louder than the BG250 but much bigger too. The GK MB115 is a good one too, I played through one today but its still not as loud as the Peavey. Of course the Peavey will have no resale value - but they sure are loud!
  3. carl h.

carl h.

How much $$$ ?

There's a fliptop rig for sale here for 525 shipped. Very good price for a "combo" amp.
  4. himluis1

himluis1

i have around $400 to buy the amp ...
  5. soulman969

soulman969

I think you may have missed it but last month BG250s were going for less then $300 including a Corona Chorus pedal. Price matches were around $275 and that is a screaming bargain on that amp.

I'd start calling around today and see who'll give you the best price. I don't think there's another 1x15" combo that can top if as far as features and value. You're talking 35lbs and the loudest 250w amp I have ever used and outstanding tonally as well.

A GK MB115 is a great amp too but I think you'll find the BG250 tops it. You've asked about this before and I thought you'd decided on a BG250. You should have grabbed one then when that deal was on.

PS: Don't take my word for it alone. Read about it from the guys who bought them and are gigging with them. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/tc-electronic-bg250-club-901664/
  6. styro

styro Supporting Member

BG250 is probably the best bang for your bucks right now.
  7. himluis1

himluis1

yes i had the bg250 and liked it , but i had to sell everything during the holidays and wasn't sure if buying again or try either gk or peavey
  8. obimark

obimark

I love my BG250 so far, first small/medium gig with it tonite, so I will post full review after.
    In my mind it has replaced almost $1200 worth of gear so far.
  9. M. Owen Santy

M. Owen Santy

Disclosures:
    Michael Tobias Designs Kingston Series & Traynor Amps Artist
    I know you want to look small - but in my mind I would look for something that will be able to work most rooms and require little additions in the future. (like an extension cab)

To that end, I would look for a 2x10 combo with about 400W. Things that come to mind would be SWR Red-head, Line6 LD400 Pro, or even a Yorkville XS400T ( Traynor Db400). SWR also has their "Workingman" series combos that can be found all over the place.

You can find any one of those for about $400 US easily and every one of them will handle almost any room you want - especially if you add a 1x15 or 2x10 extention cab later on.

Of those mentioned - I would look at wither the Line6 Or Yorkville/Traynor. Both have excellent tone and have some very dependable power.
  10. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The G-K MB115 II is an awesome and light combo. You can add any powered extension cab you wish as you needs require.
  11. himluis1

himluis1

personally all i do is play at church and i have been using acousticb200 n gkmb115 in the past without pa support and both of them do the job , i hardly do concerts or large gigs n stuff ... im looking for 200+watts 40 or less lbs and easy to move around , only 2 amps on my,mind are gkmb115 ii and bg250 ... one thing i like gk for ext cab and bg250 is 50w more + tuner and effects plus tube drive very light and sounds great !!! im leaning towards tc e bg250 ... lets see ... i had good experience with gk mb115 also !!!