bass amp ... help me choose

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by himluis1, Jan 5, 2013.

1. himluis1

himluis1

ok during the holidays , I sold all my gear to pay for other stuff and christmas presents etc etc ... now im back on my feet with $$$ and im looking for a good bass combo amp , Im stuck between buying a bg250 again or give the gk mb 115 ii a chance ... also there is a peavey 115 300w , im looking for something new , lightweight and around 200+watts
  2. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Supporting Member

You can get the Peavey TNT with 400 watts for $400. It is a lot louder than the BG250 but much bigger too. The GK MB115 is a good one too, I played through one today but its still not as loud as the Peavey. Of course the Peavey will have no resale value - but they sure are loud!
  3. carl h.

carl h.

How much $$$ ?

There's a fliptop rig for sale here for 525 shipped. Very good price for a "combo" amp.
  4. himluis1

himluis1

i have around $400 to buy the amp ...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. soulman969

soulman969

I think you may have missed it but last month BG250s were going for less then $300 including a Corona Chorus pedal. Price matches were around $275 and that is a screaming bargain on that amp.

I'd start calling around today and see who'll give you the best price. I don't think there's another 1x15" combo that can top if as far as features and value. You're talking 35lbs and the loudest 250w amp I have ever used and outstanding tonally as well.

A GK MB115 is a great amp too but I think you'll find the BG250 tops it. You've asked about this before and I thought you'd decided on a BG250. You should have grabbed one then when that deal was on.

PS: Don't take my word for it alone. Read about it from the guys who bought them and are gigging with them. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/tc-electronic-bg250-club-901664/
  7. styro

styro Supporting Member

BG250 is probably the best bang for your bucks right now.
  8. himluis1

himluis1

yes i had the bg250 and liked it , but i had to sell everything during the holidays and wasn't sure if buying again or try either gk or peavey
  9. obimark

obimark

I love my BG250 so far, first small/medium gig with it tonite, so I will post full review after.
    In my mind it has replaced almost $1200 worth of gear so far.
  10. M. Owen Santy

M. Owen Santy Guest

Disclosures:
    Michael Tobias Designs Kingston Series & Traynor Amps Artist
    I know you want to look small - but in my mind I would look for something that will be able to work most rooms and require little additions in the future. (like an extension cab)

To that end, I would look for a 2x10 combo with about 400W. Things that come to mind would be SWR Red-head, Line6 LD400 Pro, or even a Yorkville XS400T ( Traynor Db400). SWR also has their "Workingman" series combos that can be found all over the place.

You can find any one of those for about $400 US easily and every one of them will handle almost any room you want - especially if you add a 1x15 or 2x10 extention cab later on.

Of those mentioned - I would look at wither the Line6 Or Yorkville/Traynor. Both have excellent tone and have some very dependable power.
  11. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The G-K MB115 II is an awesome and light combo. You can add any powered extension cab you wish as you needs require.
  12. himluis1

himluis1

personally all i do is play at church and i have been using acousticb200 n gkmb115 in the past without pa support and both of them do the job , i hardly do concerts or large gigs n stuff ... im looking for 200+watts 40 or less lbs and easy to move around , only 2 amps on my,mind are gkmb115 ii and bg250 ... one thing i like gk for ext cab and bg250 is 50w more + tuner and effects plus tube drive very light and sounds great !!! im leaning towards tc e bg250 ... lets see ... i had good experience with gk mb115 also !!!