1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass Amp help needed

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by CMTB, Jul 31, 2013.

1. CMTB

CMTB

I'm stumped and need a bass head very soon and of course as cheap as possible. I play metal (All Shall Perish-ish+Pantera-like) and fingerstyle with nails. My cabs are Hartke XL's aluminum cone: a 4x10+ a 1x15 (whose speaker is currently replaced with a cheap paper cone). Here's what I'm torn between:

-Hartke LH1000 or HA5500 (in case I get some HyDrive cabs to match in the future, which I'm a fan of)
    -Carvin BX1500 (I'm curious about their 18" cabs to match in the future)
    -Gallien-Krueger (anything of, cause a couple of friends have recommended)
    -Bugera BVP5500

some all tubes tempting me:

-Bugera BVV3000
    -Peavey Tour VB-2
    -Traynor YBA200

Concerning the Bugera options, I know a lot of people bash, but I'd like to hear from anyone whose actually heard/used them extensively, cause I haven't.

Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks!

2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Of those...GK, VB-2, or YBA-2.

GK works great for anything and is perfect in a metal setting. The Peavey and Traynor would be great tube amp options as well.

What is your budget? If you can stretch to $700, you can grab a Mesa 400+ used. I know GC has one listed right now on their used site.

3. CMTB

CMTB

Budget is about $500, and a little help from a GC friend hopefully. Definitely gotta keep under $900 tho, there's only so much selling myself on the corner I can do
    Good call on the Mesa, I forgot about that one, and would be worth the extra cash

4. 3armdave

3armdave

Had the yba200 and traded foryba300. 300 is better sounding, worth the extra dough definitely.

Given your budget you're prob better off with the used Mesa if you can swing it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My vote, GK all the way. It would be good for what you're playing. 1001 or 700 RB series head rock. Plenty of power too. I played my 1001 through a hartke hydrive cab 115 before I took it to trade it in for a GK neo cab and I thought it sounded pretty damn good. And you can find the RB heads relatively cheap used. Let us know what you end up getting!

7. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

I have the VB-2 and really love it. Its pretty versatile and the OD is pretty gnarly if you want some full on buzz saw lemmy tone. Not that I use it like that.....

8. CMTB

CMTB

Thanks for all the helpful advice dudes!
    YBA-3 would be too expensive, but I wish..though used YBA-2's are fair priced!
    And that OD channel on the VB-2 is tempting, no shame in Lemmy tones!

I'm gonna try and nail that Mesa but VB-2's, YBA-2 or GK would be in line if it's a no go, depending on the deal

9. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

Personally, I would get the HA5500. I saw a Kilo for sale in the classifieds here for 700 and that would be a good one too.

Obviously, I am a Hartke fan. :)

10. TheREALRandyMos

TheREALRandyMos

I currently own a gk goldline 500. They are 500 watt 2 channel heads that can be had for 50 cents per watt or less. I have only had it for 2 weeks but i really dig the tone. I also just ordered a mesa 400 from gc. I will hopefully be picking it up on saturday. When i get it home i will do an ab but for the price they go for used they seem like a real bargain vs any other tube amp out there.

I am not a bugera hater. I actually own a beheringer mixer that i use for rehearsals and i love it. But i have to say that i would consider some of the used stuff out there before i went with that bh5500. Now i have read on hear in another thread that the bugera 1960 is a pretty awesome amp for bass and they can be had for less than 400 brand new with free shipping and warranty. I may be looking to grab one around christmas time as i am a guitarist and a bassist and switch between both in one of my bands. Having an amp that could do both jobs would be awesome. I could just get an a/b switcher and connect the amp to a bass cab and a guitar cab and use one head for both jobs.

11. TC.65

TC.65

I picked up a Traynor YBA200-2 not long ago for $400 in perfect working order. I kinda wish I hadn't got rid of it. It was a really great sounding head. They can be found at a good price.

12. TheREALRandyMos

TheREALRandyMos

Update. So that was a total bust. When i went to gc to pickuo the mesa it was broken. The thing would not power on. Knobs were missing. The thing looked like it had been sanded with sandpaper. So i have no idea how the mesa 400 sounds. It still seems like it would be a good value if you can get one that works.