bass amp issue, ebs hd350 , very quiet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mattbass101, Oct 21, 2013.

1. mattbass101

mattbass101

Hey guys,
    I have an ebs hd 350, and LOVE this amp to death, but it was dropped a while back, and it kind of went staticy and quiet while I was playing, i banged it on top with my hand and it came back and worked fine for a week, but now I plug it in, I get like 1/3rd of the volume it should have, with a little distortion. I feel like a blew a power module or something, any advice on how to troubleshoot, what the issue could be, or how to repair it?

Basically I plug in the base, I think the preamp works, but the mainamp doesn't, I can hear sound but its way quiet.
    I suppose I could test to see if the line out is fine, and that would tell me likely that its the master volume/main power. Maybe there is a fuse in it that blew... but if that were the case I would think I wouldn't hear anything at all...

suggestions?
    Matt,
    Burlington, ontario

2. stuhammfan

stuhammfan

Matt- my amp had the same symptoms ( it's a Ea iAMP 350) turned out to be simple- a ribbon had detached from a circuit board. My tech re-soldered it- works fine.
    Hope that helps!

3. mattbass101

mattbass101

that does help, but i also found the amp works fine if i just push on it, so something is loose or cracked, it sounds perfect if i lift the amp up physically, but yeah its tough to troubleshoot.

which ribbon? maybe its common

4. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

I assume you have tried looping the effects send and effects return jacks with an instrument or pedal cable? If it is a serial effects loop the return jack contacts could have deformed in the drop.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Abrahampost

Abrahampost Supporting Member

I had a similar issue on my WT800 and it turned out to be some cold solder points in the power section that separated after it got knocked around at a gig. My tech just pulled the power section and reinstalled it.. since then it has been running like a champ.