1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

bass amp issue, ebs hd350 , very quiet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mattbass101, Oct 21, 2013.

1. mattbass101

mattbass101 Supporting Member

Hey guys,
    I have an ebs hd 350, and LOVE this amp to death, but it was dropped a while back, and it kind of went staticy and quiet while I was playing, i banged it on top with my hand and it came back and worked fine for a week, but now I plug it in, I get like 1/3rd of the volume it should have, with a little distortion. I feel like a blew a power module or something, any advice on how to troubleshoot, what the issue could be, or how to repair it?

Basically I plug in the base, I think the preamp works, but the mainamp doesn't, I can hear sound but its way quiet.
    I suppose I could test to see if the line out is fine, and that would tell me likely that its the master volume/main power. Maybe there is a fuse in it that blew... but if that were the case I would think I wouldn't hear anything at all...

suggestions?
    Matt,
    Burlington, ontario
  2. stuhammfan

stuhammfan

Matt- my amp had the same symptoms ( it's a Ea iAMP 350) turned out to be simple- a ribbon had detached from a circuit board. My tech re-soldered it- works fine.
    Hope that helps!
  3. mattbass101

mattbass101 Supporting Member

that does help, but i also found the amp works fine if i just push on it, so something is loose or cracked, it sounds perfect if i lift the amp up physically, but yeah its tough to troubleshoot.

which ribbon? maybe its common
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I assume you have tried looping the effects send and effects return jacks with an instrument or pedal cable? If it is a serial effects loop the return jack contacts could have deformed in the drop.
  5. Abrahampost

Abrahampost

I had a similar issue on my WT800 and it turned out to be some cold solder points in the power section that separated after it got knocked around at a gig. My tech just pulled the power section and reinstalled it.. since then it has been running like a champ.