Bass Amp Problems

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Sgrammer, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Sgrammer

Sgrammer

I play in a church band and use the bass amp the church owns. Up until a month ago, I played a 5-string Ibanez and never had any problems with sound and power. Then I bought a Schecter 5-string fretless. Each time that I played the Schecter, it would sound fine and loud enough while playing by myself but once the whole band comes in, I can barely hear myself. And every once in a while, the amp will pop like the speakers are about to blow, which prohibits me from turning up the volumes to hear it better.

I've tried adjusting the different knobs on both my bass and the amp and it would either not be loud enough to hear or start popping.

Does anyone know what's going on or have any suggestions? If anything in unclear, please let me know.
  2. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    You need to tell us the amp involved and the cabinet involved, it might be that you can just get another similar bass cab and add that to the rig
    Which would give you about the same increase in loudness as if you had doubled the output power of the amp. More if it turns out to be a transistor amp as you will gain more power from the amplifier it's self,
    driving twice the speakers in parallel. If your amp can operate at that low impedance.:bassist:
    PS The chances are that your new bass is driving much higher levels of very low frequency than the old one
    and the popping sound is the root of the loudspeaker cone hitting the front of the magnet structure.
  3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Do you know what each control is supposed to do and how much range the EQ has, or are you changing them randomly to try and figure out what is going on?
  4. Sgrammer

Sgrammer

@bassmec
    I'm not sure what setup it is, it's the church's and not mine. And I won't get a chance to find out until Sunday. So you're saying my new bass is too powerful for the amp? Is there anything I can do that doesn't involve buying new equipment?

@Jeff
    On my bass, I have 5 knobs. A main volume, EQ, and three to adjust the two pickups. And I've tried adjusting each to get the best sound and balance but it's either not loud enough to hear or too loud/brassy and makes the speakers pop.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Using a fretless requires a different control setup from a fretted bass. My six string has active EMG magnetics and a piezo bridge. I don't use the piezo that much as I have yet to install a HPF on the system. You should take the time to work with the amp, whatever it is, to get the best out of it.

Edit: I've found that the tone I like mostly involves the bridge pickup soloed. Reversing to the neck pickup gives a passable upright sound which I like a lot for old blues and rock'n'roll.
  7. mattwatsonn

mattwatsonn

hey, for christmas i got a bass (montetrey mbe 40bk) and an amp (ampeg ba110) and as soon as i turn on the bass there is a continuous static noise and as soon as i touch the strings the static noise gets louder i played with all the treble mid Cd level and bass on the amp and its still there. when i try playing the bass there is just always static and no bass sound at all. Does anyone know whats wrong with either the amp or bass.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Cut some lows and add some mids.
  9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Why are you hijacking a thread, start a new one as the issues you are having are unrelated to the OPS. :meh:
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I know, but I'm not telling.