Bass amp recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Swakey, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Swakey

Swakey

Hello everyone, new member here.
    The title speaks for itself and as i am sure that many threads exist on this topic, i was too lazy to go through them:smug:

First off, i am not a bassist.. yet. I am a guitarist but two years into my music studies i realized i loved the bass and should have been one instead. So i taught myself and played for the university jazz ensembles too but i am still learning (do we ever stop:p)
    Now that i'm done studying i've been looking in to buy my own bass and amp and steal jobs from the non-existent bassists who live in my city. :rolleyes:

Ok enough introduction..
    I am looking for something versatile that i can gig with, for around 1000 or less. If i can get a used one, even better.
    Also if it helps, i've set my mind on a used yamaha trb1005j which i can get for a good deal.

So any recommendations? Or if you guys want to point me to a similar thread that's cool too

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    First and foremost, see what is available to you used. If something turns up here, either amp or cab, it will narrow down your search. This will depend on where you are located of course (where is that by the way?) as some used markets are a lot tighter than others.

Secondly, what type of music are you playing, and what type of venues? Basically how loud do you need to be and what kind of tone are you after. If you always have a PA or are playing acoustic sets, then you need a lot less amp than if you have to carry the room with a metal band.

Your budget should get you a killer rig with at least some used components. If you want to get into the really light weight, small, low, loud category it will stretch your budget.

So another question back at you: What do you need your amp to do?

3. Swakey

Swakey

I live in Cyprus. For those who dont know.. Google it :)
    Market here is as bad as it gets i think. Since its an island everything gets shipped in so everything costs much more than the mainland EU and prices are considerably more than those in the states.

I need an amp to gig in small to medium size places with different bands from a jazz trio to a rock band. Yes i'd much rather have something small and powerful than something big but i could make do either way.
    As for styles of music, i play jazz blues funk latin rock and anything in between (or at least i try to)

4. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Well your location makes things tough. No idea what might be available to you used, and no perspective on what shipping costs might do to your budget.

FWIW budget aside I would be doing some research on some of the new "Super 12's".

Barefaced Bass
    Baer
    fEARful/fEARless/greenboy
    Audiokinesis

They might not be in your budget now, but a fEARless 112 and a Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2 would probably cover all your gigs. Barefaced is out of the UK, and they have some great offerings as well. Their "Big Baby" cab with a suitable amp would be amazing as well. The designs for the fEARful cabs are free, and you could source the parts yourself or order a flatpack out of the UK. The 12/6 would be similar to either the 112 or the big baby in performance, tonally they will all differ. Both the Audiokinesis and Baer cabs use different drivers than the cabs previously mentioned. I believe the Baer ML112 uses an eminence 3012HO where as the rest use some variation of the 3012LF. Combined with a different mid driver, its a little tighter down low and has its own character up top. It gets rave reviews. The Audiokinesis Thunderchild 12 is the only 4 Ohm cab. Duke's designs use some of the most refined cross overs out there.

All these cabs have their own flavor, all of them have good reviews. It is totally possible that none of them are anything close to what you want, but they do offer good perspective of what is possible.

Back on topic. What does importation/shipping do to your budget?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Swakey

Swakey

Nice thanks i'll look over these in closer detail.

Shipping is relative to where i'm getting it from. Getting an amp from outside the EU is out of the question as shipping + duties might make the amp double the price even if its used. For some reason, when ordering from the EU, weight isn't an issue. Only a year ago, i bought a Hughes&Kettner amp from the UK and shipping was 30 euros. So yeah i could place an order from outside the country.
    Only problem is due to the lacking market, there is a 95% chance i won't be able to try out the amp before i buy it.

7. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    I would look into the Big Baby from Barefaced, or a 12/6 from greenboy's EU builder. Spend what remains on the best amp you can.