Bass amps for Mac Garageband software?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Apr 9, 2009.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas

I am not familiar with this software but some friends are going to do a music project using this. Can different amp simulators be downloaded or loaded into the software?

2. Safari

Safari

You can get different "Jam Packs" that have more simulators and effects, etc. than what comes packaged with the software. I've used the packaged simulators and they are pretty versatile as far as custom tailoring their individual sounds.

And they aren't really simulators insomuch as they are presets. Garageband doesn't have a MarkBass . . . or Ampeg . . . it has "Reggae Bass", "Overdrive Bass", etc.

I still prefer to do a clean input of my preamp and mic'd cab but the simulators are extremely handy.

3. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas

Thanks Safari, but I don't have a bass amp or cab at the moment. I will have to create my sound. Can the Jam Packs be gotten free? Or do they have to be purchased?

4. synterx

synterx Supporting Member

Garageband comes with guitar and bass amp simulators. They are quite good. You need nothing else but an interface to get your signal in. That's it. Jam Packs simply add some loops, sounds, and a few other things to your GarageBand. You do not need them at all.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Safari

Safari

You have to purchase the jam packs. I also updated my previous reply - the simulators don't emulate popular brands/models, they are more like presets tailored for an instrument, i.e. bass, guitar, voice, etc.

Not sure you'll need to purchase an extra jam pack. You'll probably do just fine plugging in direct and then just tweaking the sound in Garageband. I've done this for MANY songs - plugged straight in and sounds great. Can be a huge time/headache saver too, as opposed to micing everything up, blah blah blah.

So go for it and experiment. It's bundled, easy software, but it works and it sounds good.

7. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas

8. synterx

synterx Supporting Member

yes, put a compressor/limiter on the track, a slight touch of OD, EQ, etc., and you'll get a great bass tone. You can always add a bass-specific AU plugin later, that's the beauty. For example, IK Multimedia has a deal on the Ampeg SVX Plugin, or the cheap version of Guitar Rig, etc.