Bass amps to choose from

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by steveksux, Apr 4, 2014.

1. steveksux

steveksux

BASS SETUP: I have access to only these two rigs, which one would you pick?, and why? what sort of features do you like about each one. Thanks in advance... these are being supplied, so not like I'm buying or have any choices except for these 2...

Aguilar DB 751 / Two (2) DB410 cabinets

GK 800 with 2 Goliath III 410 cabinets)

Randy

2. madmarvin

madmarvin

That Aguilar rig is money. It's matched and has a lot more watts.

I say this and I love GK.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

+1 That's the way I would go too.

4. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yep, but which G-K 800?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

An 80s 800 rules! Its better tone wise than newer ones, its built like a tank and don't let the 300 watts fool you. I played last night with a thrash band using a passive bass and my ampeg 8x10 and I had it on about 3

7. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

I would choose the Aguilar rig. Good stuff!

8. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

For what type of music?

9. steveksux

steveksux

R&B, Urban soul. I'm warming up Ruben Studdard and Lalah Hathaway tomorrow.

Randy

10. steveksux

steveksux

The watts don't matter, it's just for the backline, for my bass monitor. PA will be doing the heavy lifting, I just want good tone, doesn't have to be loud. I'm assuming I'll be in the monitors for everyone else to hear also, so I shouldn't even have to fill the stage. I won't find out until sound check tomorrow.

Randy

11. Linnin

Linnin

I think you should eat some bugers and pop for a Fender Rumble 500 rig. You know, just in case you actually want to sound GREAT! ;)

12. steveksux

steveksux

No idea, that's all I know... I copied that straight from the email... Sounds like they rent the stuff in each city instead of dragging it around. If there's variations, no telling which one will be there this time. Went to look up the Goliath IIIs, they aren't in production anymore from what I can tell, so could be an older GK800 too I suppose.

Randy

13. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    800RBs are a staple for many backline companies, so that'd be my bet. Just curious though, as personally I'd take the Aggie rig in any case. Great gig BTW, hope you kill it.

14. steveksux

steveksux

I think if I show up with an amp, they will refuse to hook it up, tell me to take it out to the car...

That's MY kind of gig! ;)

Randy

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd do the Aggie rig except for with the tweeters off, those DB cabs can be pretty dark. Can you do the DB751 and the Goliaths?

16. steveksux

steveksux

Thanks, should be a blast, my first real live concert. The Aggie sounds like the 750 preamp, mated with a power amp. Did some research, it has a toroidal power transformer, was wondering if that was for AC/DC conversion for the power supply, or if it was an output transformer? I think it's MOSFET, didn't think they needed transformers like a tube power amp. Just seems odd to have a toroidal transformer for the DC supply.

Randy

17. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    It is definitely for the power supply, and quite hefty, and those amps are seriously badass. It's actually fairly unusual to use a toroid for an output transformer, I can only think of a few examples offhand.

18. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Media:
    I'm firmly a GK guy now, and I'd opt for the Aguilar rig every day...twice on Sundays! ;)

19. steveksux

steveksux

I'm not sure, you'd have a better idea than me what the sound guys will put up with. Just a speaker cable swap to make it happen, not hard.

Those were Ruben/Lalah's equipment requirement list, so what are the odds both amps are there? The more I think about it, doubt both amps would be available, sound co probably supplied whichever one they could get that was cheapest to rent.

I may not have a choice after all. What do you think? What's the normal setup for something like this?

Randy

20. steveksux

steveksux

Toroidal is pretty rare for power supplies, too... that's why I assumed there was something about it suitable for audio.

MOSFETs are high input impedance, but wasn't sure about the output side, if that required a transformer to drive an 8/4 ohm load. Didn't think any of the solid state semiconductors needed output transformers, but not real familiar with MOSFETs.

Randy

21. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    GK and SWR are way more common in supplied backlines than Aggie, though Aggie's gaining in popularity. And you just may not have a choice, depending on who ordered what for whom. But it could very well be as simple as running a cable to a different amp next to it, unless of course one rig's on one side of the stage and the other's on the other. You, being the opener, will likely get told what you're using ;) Play this one by ear.