"Bass and drums only" bands

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Burialist, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Burialist

Burialist

Hey
    I would really want to discover funk bands/artists, with guitar bass and drums only. With no, or little singing.

Know some ?

p.s
    Its not necesery to be classified as funk, but i like that funky bass lines.

Thanks
  2. puddin tame

puddin tame

the meters?
  3. backup

backup

guitar, bass and drums or bass guitar and drums?
    if youre talking about trios you should check out the fusion scene lots of funky bass lines and thats the standard line up
    i cant help you out really with the latter thus im subscribing.
    dennis chambers has a cd called "in the pocket" which is bass guitar + drums renditions of a couple of funk classics
  4. El-Bob

El-Bob

Not funky, but Death from Above 1979 comes to mind... I saw them live a couple weeks ago, and the bassist's tone was absolutely monstrous.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Professor X

Professor X

Doug johns live!
  7. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Not "funk", but Dianogah was one of my favorites- 2 bassists and a drummer. Also El Ten Eleven (also not funk, and the bassist loops using a doubleneck bass/guitar combo) is pretty inspiring.
  8. ntenny

ntenny

I actually saw them, and they carried it off quite well live. It's got to be hard to keep two basses out of each other's way, but it worked. Seemed to be a matter of setting up for very distinct tones, and then playing mostly in separate registers.

If I'm not mistaken, Cop Shoot Cop had two bassists as well, although they had keyboards and horns as well. They're still a good example of "lead rhythm section" music.

-NT