Bass Bags

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by levifly, Dec 8, 2009.

1. levifly

levifly

I am interested in getting a new bag for my bass. I read the newby info on bags, but it seems rather dated. I am specifically interested in the Upton bag with wheels and the Tuff bag from String Emporium. Does anyone have experience with those two bags. The bag I have is a Mooridian ( old, it came with my bass and It was old when I bought it a number of years ago) and it is worn out. Any information or suggestions would be appreciated. My price range is around $300 give or take depending on the case.

Mike
  2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

My basic Mooridian has been great for 4 years now with almost daily use and I think they are still under $300.00.
  3. mjt0229

mjt0229

I have a Messina cover and I love it. An ancient Mooradian came with my bass, but the bag isn't nice enough to really use, so I use with the Messina that I had made for my old bass.
  4. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Vice President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    We no longer have the wheels...PM me if ya want info. I suggest a end-pin wheel if you need that kind of mobility coupled with a good bag.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. uprightbass.com

uprightbass.com

Disclosures:
    Is not compensated for endorsements. Does not sell for profit.
    I used to have a Mooradian on my previous bass for years. When I got my recent bass from String Emporium, I got their Tuff Case. I'd highly recommend it and I wouldn't pay more to get a Mooradian unless I needed custom sizing again. I think the Tuff Case also has more padding if my memory serves me right.

The Kolstein stroller works great in conjunction with any case and has worked great for me for over ten years, although I might try the K.C. Strings bass buggie if I were in the market for wheels.
  7. darjama

darjama

I needed a bag ASAP, so I contacted Bob's House of Basses (www.bobshouseofbasses.com), since they're local to me. They have a very good house brand bag as well for under $300.
  8. levifly

levifly

Thanks guys, You are always informed and helpful. Mike
  9. levifly

levifly

E. Roy, You have a PM
  10. EBMatt

EBMatt

I just got my new Thompson RM-200 from the string emporium last week and I got the tuff-bag with it. The quality of the case is great. It is stitched together really well and seems like it will last for a long time. It has a TON of padding and a bunch of handles. The zippers and handles seem to be very heavy duty. I personally like it a lot and my bass teacher also commented today on how nice it was.:bassist:
  11. wayne holmes

wayne holmes Banned

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, Holmes Bass Viol Shop
    I have the Upton bag with wheels- and love it- in fact - I got rid of my wheel that replaces the end pin. It has held up well. It is much easier than the big wheel deal. Not to exager here but it really made a big difference in my life. It's funny how I got the bag. I bought a bass from a guy in PA and he said that he was going to ship it in a bag- I expected some cheap thing about 3mm thick- but when I got it, I just couldn't believe it. He actually ordered it in from Upton- as I reflect on that bag now, which I still use all the time, it was really a wonderful gift that the owner sent to me. When you are up there in years and have more chassy pulling on your deferential than one should, well, you just appreciate little wheels that roll and make life so much easier for you. Find one with wheels on the bag. Stay away from the big wheel(MY OPINION) To me, the big wheel is awkward and dangerous. It's like pushing a wal-mart cart with 3 stuck wheels, or going down a SF hill with a supermarket shopping basket full of watermelons. Yet, I know several stoolmates who love their big wheel.

anyone know who sells them now? with lots of bass love
  12. Square Bear

Square Bear

I have a tuff bag. I think it's a great bag except for one thing- a few weeks ago one of the straps broke. Did not damage the bass because it didn't fall, thankfully. This is a bit alarming considering I've only had the bag for a few months. I carry a lot of stuff in my bag, so it's pretty heavy, but then again, I expect to be able to carry a lot of stuff in a bag with so many pockets... I repaired the handle myself last week and reinforced some of the other handles with some very heavy thread. I'm quite sure that the strap will not fail again. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a great bag. I know many people who have had the same bag with no problems at all. It has really good padding and I like where the straps and pockets are. I just figure that anything mass produced runs the risk of quality control missing something like a weak spot in the stitching.

Another point- I have unsurpassed mastery and control with my onyx wheel. I can manipulate my direction or velocity with ease, even in the tightest of situations. Just yesterday, I unflinchingly traversed a lava rock garden. The big wheel is the s***.
  13. levifly

levifly

If you read the above post from Eric Roy you will see that they no longer have the bag with wheels. That was my tie breaker between the two bags, all other things being equal. Know I am really conflicted. Keep the reviews coming in because I am really struggling. Mike
  14. Square Bear

Square Bear

if you're between the tuff bag and the mooradian, i'd go with the tuff bag. i've had both.
  15. levifly

levifly

I noticed that on Bob Gollihur's site that he has bags with wheels that look very similar to the now unavailable Upton wheeled bags. Does anyone have experience with the Gollihur bag or is anyone aware of any reviews on these bags. Thanks, Mike
  16. PJRJazz

PJRJazz

Levifly, check your PM
  17. baldy McBalders

baldy McBalders

I am also curious about the Gollihur bag with wheels. Any input would be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Brian
  18. uprightbass.com

uprightbass.com

Disclosures:
    The wheels look like they'll only allow wheeling the bass with the bridge forward all of the time. I couldn't imagine trying to wheel the bass that way. Small diameter wheels would likely get jammed up in sidewalk expansion joints and a shallow angle would cause your endpin to catch the ground (strange that the picture has no endpin on the bass). Rigid wheels and no suspension means noisy and jarring bass transport.

Luggage wheels are designed to be pulled, remembered the last time you tried pushing your suitcase forward and it wandered and got caught on stuff? Maybe the bag was designed so that you'd drag the bass behind you? I don't know, coming from someone who's literally put dozens of miles on wheeling basses around, I don't think it's well researched in design.
  19. Wallyphonic

Wallyphonic

The Upton / Gollihur bags with wheels work just fine. You don't push it in front of you, you pull it behind you just like luggage. The padding in the bag gives a fair amount of shock absorption. My problem with the Upton bag is that it is very heavy and bulky - almost as heavy as the bass itself. A couple of the zipper tabs broke off of mine and the fleece lining wants to catch on any rough edges of the bass causing splinters. I quit using mine except when I need maximum padding like touring in a van with a bunch of other band gear.
  20. uprightbass.com

uprightbass.com

Disclosures:
    How did you like pulling the bass behind you compared to usual pushing the bass (using a bass wheel)?
  21. Wallyphonic

Wallyphonic

I've never used a wheel so I can't really compare. Pulling behind works pretty well, you just have to be careful when going through doors and around corners that you don't turn too sharp and bang it into the door jam. They give you a handle up by the scroll to pull with, but that makes it lay down low and way out behind you. I usually pull it with the neck up under my arm so it's up higher and a little easier to maneuver. I just usually found it easier to use a lighter (mooradian) bag and carry it, plus the mooradian is a lot easier to take on and off and to stow during the gig. But, if you really have a long hike the wheels are nice!