Bass Big Muff Deluxe cutting out?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Treadstone71, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

Hi everyone, I recently bought an EHX big muff deluxe, and I tried running it with the added 9v, but found it kept cutting out at lower volumes (really had to hammer notes to hear anything). I assumed it pulled too much power to work properly off the battery, so I bought the adapter and plugged it in, only to find it was still cutting out.

Has anyone else encountered this? I don't take it with me to rehearsal (not to the band's style), and only run it at home through a 15w practice cube.

Is it my amp? Does the muff need a more substantial amp/cab?

Thanks in advance. I rarely play with effects, and am a bit of a noob when it comes to anything more than a compressor.

2. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Check your cables. If something is cutting out, it's probably not your pedal, but the cables.

3. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

do you meant volume or highs?

4. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    How do you have the noise gate set? Could you have the threshold so high that you have to pound the strings to make any noise?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

Low, what's the noise gate? I'll check the settings on the pedal again.

I've used the cables with and without the pedal, and nothing else causes any problems with any of them.

For clarification everyone (and thank you for your responses), when I say the sound cuts out, it's literally that. with the pedal on, if I just pluck the string, I get nothing. If I really pluck it hard, I only get sound when the string is at maximum vibration, and it's not like it slowly gets louder, it goes from nothing, to nothing, to sound, then nothing again as the vibration dies down.

7. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

The noise gate is the knob labelled gate. Turn it down.

8. lowfreqgeek

Disclosures:
    From the manual:

GATE — Controls the input amplitude needed to open the noise gate. As you turn the GATE
    knob clockwise, the amount of gating increases, requiring a louder signal to open the gate and
    allow your instrument to pass through. Turning the GATE knob down all the way disables the
    noise gate function.

How do you have the input pad switch set? If you have a low output bass with the pad set to -10dB, and the gate turned up too high, it would cause the signal to cut out like you describe.

No guarantee that this is the problem, but it's the most likely.

9. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

Thank you Low, I'll try that when I get home.

10. lowfreqgeek

Disclosures:
    Good luck! Lemme know how you like the pedal once you get it sorted out. I've been really interested in it. Seems like an awesome implementation with the features I'd want (blend, gate, crossover...).

11. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

Low, I tried turning down the gate, as well as the high/low pass filters, and it works fine now. Thanks for the save mate!

(BTW this thing has a ton of settings and I'm still finding tones/sounds I like out of it. Probably will for a while.)