1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass Big Muff or botique

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tony Flow MMMM, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

I'm about to buy a new fuzz. I really like a fat fat fat bottom or at least controllable. I'm looking at the bass big muff, the pickle pie b and the oxide.... Maybe the swollen pickle. I really do like a bass boost with my fuzz. Any recommendations?

2. Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

Do you want distored lows, or clean lows?

I'm not a big fan of the standard BBM when I feed it low freuency stuff, to splatty for my taste. I'm looking at upgrading to the Deluxe BBM, though, because the crossover will solve my problem. You could keep (and boost) the clean lows if you want, and the HPF going into the distortion at its minimum setting would boost 125Hz while cutting the stuff around 40Hz. That might be all the booty you could ask for.

3. agreatheight

agreatheight

I'd start with the BBM and see if that does it for you. It worked fine for me.

4. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B Supporting Member

The Bass Big Muff sounds ok but gets totally lost in a band situation, I think any of the other pedals you mentioned would be a better choice.
    The Swollen Pickle has plenty of bass on tap and would be a much cheaper choice if that matters.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Straight out a donkey's mouth Supporting Member

+ 10000

The only downside (and it really isn't that when you consider what you get) to the BBM Deluxe is that it's slightly more expensive than the regular BBM. An adjustable blend knob and the crossover controls making it better isn't a matter of opinion, it's a no-brainer lol. Plus, if you can't return it for some reason, you will have a MUCH easier time reselling the BBM Deluxe as opposed to the regular one.

7. Tony Flow MMMM

I already have a LS-2 so a blender is meh for me. And I'd rather a smaller pedal. :/

8. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I would look at any of the other 3 pedals you mention over the BBM. The Pickle Pie B is great, as is the Swollen Pickle.

The Blackout Musket is still my favorite Big Muff clone. Something about it just works.

9. autodidact

autodidact

Just get a Fuzzrocious Grey Stache and live a happy life

10. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer

If you are looking for a big low end boost, go with the Wren & Cuff Tall Font Russian or the Way Huge Swolen Pickle. Both boost the bass quite a bit. I would always recommend the oxide as an all around great pedal, but I wouldn't say it boosts your low end. It can boost your clean signal and add in dirt. IMO, both the Pickle Pie and the Oxide are the most controllable.

11. Tony Flow MMMM

I think I'm gonna get the bass muff deluxe as it'll be the easiest to return. (Amazon) if I don't like it.

12. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

In normal mode the BBM does, but it dry mode it doesn't - that's the point of dry mode really - I used to find it sat really well in the mix.

As far as the Swollen Pickle goes (great pedal by the way) - it is most definitely not cheaper than the Bass Big Muff. Cheaper than an Oxide or the W&C Pickle Pie for sure, but the Bass Big Muff is by far the cheapest of the bunch.

13. Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

Thing with the dry mode is it increases your signal level, hence why the blend knob is a huge deal. Add that the crossover controls are resonant so they can be set to boost the mids and compensate for th tone stack scoop.

14. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

Lots of bass in your fuzz? Get a W&C Tall Font Russian, and be done with it.

Fender Sublime would be just fine too, at about half the cost (for used ones around here) of the TFR.