bass big muff tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bamofo88, Jan 17, 2013.

1. bamofo88

bamofo88

i just recently upgrade from an ashdown 5 15 combo to a ampeg portaflex pf 500 and 2x10he cab and the tone im getting with the 2x10 when i have my muff on is absolutly crap and i cant get it to sound good...i only really use it to play for whom the bell tolls and orion...it sounded perfect with the ashdown but now its horrible i can barly stand it ive tryed a diffrent types of setting and nothing sounds right...i have no clue what todo..i was thinking of tradeing it in toward a regular big muff and try that
  2. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    People pay so much attention to pedals and what others think of pedals.....but never really pay attention to their rig. So important. My philosophy is to find your bass, then find the rig that best fits the bass, then find the pedals that fit around that. So you're on the right track. Use the classified to flip flop your way to the best muff your rig deserves. An example, I'm on my 3rd B3K. It was way to thin with my Eden amp, just not enough with my Mesa, but it sounds amazing going into my Glockenklang. So good.

I just traded for the new Arcs Effects Big Green Pi. Ooooooof. Can't wait.
  3. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Do both amps have a tweeter? If memory serves the ashdown doesn't and the ampeg does. In that case try turning down the tweeter on the among and see what you think.
  4. bamofo88

bamofo88

yea i never thought about the tweeter ill have to try turning it off tommarow maybe it will help
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Well? Any better?
  7. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Media:
    yep that was exactly my thought. Also, the amps may have different voicing where it compliments the pedal with one and not the other.
  8. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

I play through an Ampeg pf500 and 6x10 and use a Way Huge Swollen Pickle for fuzz that sounds amazing. I had similar issues with the Big Muff, actually didn't like it through any of my amps haha.
  9. spaz21387

spaz21387

The tweeter is most likely the cause of the problem. If the cab doesnt have a dial or switch to turn off the tweeter you could also unplug the tweeter. I would drop the bass big muff too. I have tried it on 3 different setups and it sucked. it sounded so thin and weak. Try a black russian big muff they are cheap and sound great.
  10. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

tweeter's your enemy for sure. As for the thinness, you need a bass boost after a big muff. I hated mine through the Portaflex (and everything else) till I accidentally turned on my mxr m80 with the "color" switch engaged (not the distortion side), which is a bass heavy EQ preset. Instant beautifully full fuzz, THE fuzz tone I've dreamed of.

FWIW, I've had the same experience with boutique muff clones.