1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass Big Muff vs. Modded BBM vs. Bass Big Muff Deluxe vs. MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kleinenenten, Feb 20, 2013.

Which one?

1. EHX Bass Big Muff

23.4%
  2. EHX Bass Big Muff w/Master Volume Mod

13.0%
  3. EHX Bass Big Muff Deluxe

32.5%
  4. MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe

31.2%
  1. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

OK, so here's what's happening. I recently bought an EHX Bass Big Muff. Love the sound I'm getting out of it, but hate the volume jump I get with the distortion settings I like. I've heard of a master volume mod, but don't really feel comfortable doing it, and don't know anyone who could do it for me. So I've been looking at other options, namely the BBM Deluxe and the MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe. Here are my concerns:

BBM Deluxe:
    Doesn't have the mode switch for dry, normal, or bass boost like my current model. I realize that it has a blend knob, and could probably sound like the old one, I just don't want to buy the new one to find out it can't. Can anyone alleviate that fear for me?

MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe:
    I haven't played one, and I've found no matter how internet videos make a pedal sound, I can't get that sound. Not that that's bad, but I can only use them as a best-guess as to what would sound good in my rig scenario. And plopping down at least a hundred bucks used for a company I've never used (respected though they are) is a daunting idea.

BBM:
    As mentioned before, love the sound, hate the volume jump in Dry mode.

BBM w/Master Volume Mod:
    This sounds like exactly what I want, but I am unable to do it, and don't know anyone willing to do it for me.

So, any suggestions? If I get a new pedal, I'm planning on having it replace my BBM. I'm open for other ideas, not just buying/modding one of these pedals, but I thought these would be the quickest and easiest solutions to my problems. Thanks for the input guys!

2. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Bass big muff deluxe sounds similar to the bbm it does have a blend which makes the pedal better and more useable than the normal bbm (I own both) the bass fuzz deluxe sounds pretty much Identical to the video dunlop did of it so if you like that video then you'll like the pedal (I also own this) if you like the sound of the bass fuzz deluxe then you can base your decision on whether you'd rather have that sound or a way more useable/versatile big muff!

3. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Straight out a donkey's mouth Supporting Member

BBM deluxe is nothing but an upgrade to all the shortcomings of the BBM (i.e. - the volume jump you referenced in dry mode). It may take a bit more time to tweak it to exactly how you like it, but it can do everything the BBM can and then some. Only thing you should worry about is getting someone to buy your BBM off you ;)

4. Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

Sounds like you're using the Dry setting and just want to be able to adjust the mix. In that case, either the mod or the Deluxe would be exactly what you need. The MXR also has the ability to adjust for blend, but may not have the same voicing you're looking for.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thebass905

thebass905

I'm about to do a comparison video! Please post any suggestions on the thread about it if you want to hear anything between the bass muff an the deluxe. (Sorry I don't have the link but it should be around here somewhere)

7. WoundFlat

WoundFlat

I use the BBM with a Boss LS-2 in A+B mix mode with my dry signal. The LS-2 is an excellent tool to have in your kit regardless.

Also relevant, I just bought the MXR bass fuzz deluxe after demoing it at a shop nearby. Looking forward to some head-to-head with the BBM.

8. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

I own a big muff deluxe but can't find a setting with the crossover do you think you'd be able to show off the crossover function a bit? I'd be interested in how to use it

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

I modded my BBM and love it. The deluxe didn't exist when I bought this one.

10. Inconnu

Inconnu

I've got a BBM and love it. When I saw the Deluxe was coming out I thought I wanted to do the switch, then plugged in the BBM and thought : "It's exactly the sound I like, why look elsewhere?". My advice : If the new features of the deluxe are worth it for you, go for it. Otherwise, take advantage of the situation where there's many BBM available used since people are upgrading to the Deluxe, and safe money...

11. mbernard110

mbernard110

I regret trading my Bass Fuzz Deluxe. It was a great pedal that had a lot of useable sounds for me and I miss it.

12. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

Traded already? Didn't it just come out? Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming. Currently leaning towards BBMD or modded BBM, but can't mod it myself. Know anyone who can if I go that route? Thanks again!

Just realized you said the Bass Fuzz Deluxe, not BBM Deluxe. Nevermind!

13. MetroBass

MetroBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    MXR BFD - most adjustable and versatile fuzz out there and it doesn't sound like a muff.

14. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

I'm officially going to call a tie between the BFD and BBM Deluxe, but it depends on what you're after in a fuzz. They're both great fuzzes, but have little in common as far as fuzz characteristics.
    If you want a smoother fuzz, the BFD is the way to go...for a more unbridled fury, it's the BBM Deluxe.

15. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

I don't want brutal, crazy fuzz, but I was liking how my BBM was sounding in its dry setting. Ideally, I'm thinking something like this:

I wouldn't consider that heavy fuzz, so that's leaning towards the MXR? I'm gonna keep looking/comparing, but I'm thinking I still prefer the sound of the BBM, and if the BBMD sounds like that, but with better options, I'm gonna have to go that route.

16. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

For that type of sound, BFD for sure!

17. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

Really? I'm still not sold, but the samples I'm seeing of the BFD seem to be more funk-oriented, and I'm wanting stoner/metal type sounds, just not too crazy. I'm thinking I could get that with the blend knob of the BBMD, since my current setting is pretty close. I'd ask the guys in that thread, but I've peeked in there before, and it's way over my head! Gonna keep looking...

18. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

Also, I have a GK Diesel Dawg that I love for distortion, so I might try and get that to sound similar, since that video seems more like light distortion and less full on fuzz. I definitely want some fuzz though too, so I'm gonna keep on searching!

19. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

Just decided to pull the trigger on the BBMD. I kept looking at the MXR and the EHX and comparing the two, and while I agree the MXR is very smooth, I've ultimately decided smoothness alone isn't what I'm going for. I want a little aggression in there, and the somewhat gritty, less smooth sounding BBMD just seems "better" to my ears. Not that the MXR sounds bad, but I'm wanting a metal sound, and that didn't seem to fit as well, without really cranking some knobs. I feel that the BBMD will get me the whole gamut of sounds I need without cranking knobs, so that if I should ever need something really crazy, it's there for me to find. Thanks for the help everyone, this one really had me thinking for a while. I'll post what I think here when I've had some time to play on it.

20. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

OK, after one practice, loving this pedal! Haven't had a chance to mess with it solo and really get a "perfect" tone, but I'm sure that won't be a problem. The crossover function is quite nice, as it allows me to go from a classic Muff sound to a more bass-heavy distortion sound, and I'd say it's pretty smooth, so I'm thinking I may have inadvertantly gotten the aggressiveness I wanted with the smoothness to boot! I'll report back later when I've had more experience, but first impressions are nothing but positive!

21. fasto

fasto

Yup! The GK Diesel Dawg seems to be a very underrated pedal here (i know: ugly enclosure design, big & heavy like a tank, etc.), BUT: put the Diesel before the BFD and enjoy.