1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass Brites String Cleaner

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JimmyM, Aug 2, 2011.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Got a PM last week from a gentleman named Daryl who said he had just started making a product to revive dead strings and he offered to let me try them. I was skeptical, but I said sure, send me a sample. They came yesterday, and last night I tried them.

I rubbed the strings with one of his Bass Brite cloths, wiped it off after a few seconds according to the directions, and played it. No difference. But after about 5 minutes, I noticed that the strings were, indeed, livening up. So I did it again, and they livened up a little more. And today the strings are even livelier than last night. To be honest, it didn't liven them up to the point where they sounded brand new, but it did liven them up to the point that's normally referred to as "broken in but live." Good enough for me because that's how I like them.

I think this product, while it does revive dead strings to a pretty impressive degree, would be best served for those who like brand new strings by using them at the point where they're starting to go dead, rather than waiting for them to go dead all the way. Haven't tried that yet, naturally, but I imagine that if it'll bring back a nearly dead set of strings to this capacity, it should work just fine as a preventative that keeps your strings sounding bright for a long time. They cost$11 for a jar of 30 cloths, and each cloth will do a set of strings no problem, and he said he was going to set up special pricing for repeat customers and TB members. I've been soaking my strings in denatured alcohol, but I'm pretty well sold on these cloths. If you have a really dead set you want revived to full brightness, denatured alcohol is still your best bet, but these are a lot more convenient and revives dead strings to such a point where I'd rather not hassle with the denatured alcohol and taking strings on and off anymore.

Anyway, I know it sounds like I'm shilling for the guy, but I'm not making any money off it (though I did get a free pack) and I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't think they worked. But I was pretty impressed after the first day of trying them and I think the dude is onto something, so that's why I'm plugging him. I would, however, welcome the opportunity to get more free Bass Brites and be a shill for them in the future ;)

BassBrites | Advanced String Cleaner
  2. Epidrake

Epidrake

Are they safe for the fretboard?
  3. Spencer!

Spencer! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Stompbox designer/builder for 3Leaf Audio & Darkglass Electronics
    Amazon prime eligible, I dig!
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Didn't hurt mine any. They're not what you'd call "wet." They feel pretty dry to the touch.
  5. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Cool idea but $10.99 for 30 wipes is a bit much, no? (He states to use before and after you play)
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Yeah, I don't know if it would be necessary to wipe them down every single time you play, though it's only been a day so I can't tell what you'd need to do for the long run. And he does intend to offer special pricing for TB buyers, so you could do a little better on the price with that. I don't know...I think it's worth it not to hassle with soaking strings and taking them on and off all the time. YMMV.
  7. simonwong

simonwong

The best way to clean it for me is to put it in a ultrasonic jewelry cleaner for a couple of minutes, works like a charm.
  8. diehard70

diehard70

I can see this being a bargain for those who change there strings fairly often. I change mine every 2-3 months or so on my 3 basses that are in my playing rotation (mostly just the one bass, though). @ $30+ per string set for the one bass by itself it seems like a pretty good deal (esp. when you factor in the playability/sound of a "fresh" string set for a longer time).

Thanks for the heads-up, Jimmy:)
  9. keith millman

keith millman

ooh, interesting. Just ordered some! Excited to try em!
  10. Darylw425

Darylw425

Disclosures:
    Founder: BassBrites USA
    Thanks Jimmy.

To answer the questions:

No, BassBrites will not harm your fretboard, or any other part of your instrument.

Yes, they are more expensive than other wipes, but that is because they do more. Other wipes are often just an alcohol based cleaning solution, whereas the formula in BassBrites actually seals and protects strings from oxidation, keeping a newer string tone for much longer.

So yes, if you do the math, it saves you money from not having to replace strings nearly as often, and let's you maintain better tone for that time - which is priceless in my opinion!
  11. Darylw425

Darylw425

Disclosures:
    Also- as JimmyM mentioned, we're doing a promotion for the next 10 days for fellow Talkbass members.

PM me for a promo code for VIP pricing.
  12. Wobbles718

Wobbles718

I use The String Cleaner, its a little device that fits over the strings and cleans them as well as the fret board....It doesn't revive the strings, but it makes them last noticeably longer if you use it after you play. I will have to try this on my old bass also though ...
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well I got frustrated with the flats tonight and put rounds back on my main two basses, so I'll get to see what these Bass Brites do over the long haul. I keep trying to like flats. I love certain aspects about them. But I guess I'm a roundwound guy. At least until I decide to try flats again ;)
  14. Craig_S

Craig_S

fickle^^^ :D
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I AM fickle. All this could be avoided if I did what I used to do and brought a bass with flats and a bass with rounds to every gig. But that ain't happening anymore.
  16. Waffles and Scotch

Waffles and Scotch

Do these cleaning cloths work on coated strings (specifically DR Black Beauties and DR Neon strings)?
  17. Darylw425

Darylw425

Disclosures:
    While we have not tested BassBrites on coated strings, I can tell you that they are meant to seal and protect the metal from oxidation and corrosion caused from the acid in your hands. Coated strings are already protecting the metal, so the BassBrites formula would probably not have an effect on the metal through the coating.

Hard to say what it would do to the K3 coating, but it's probably a belt and suspenders kind of thing - you only need one or the other.

While both coated strings and BassBrites extend string life, BassBrites allow you to choose any string based on the sound, feel and quality you like, and then have that string last much longer.
  18. project43

project43 Supporting Member

I ordered your product a few days ago from Amazon. I have been using GHS Fast Fret & it helps slow down the corrosion problem. My question: will this clean off the residue from the fast fret or should I start with new strings? Thanks, Frank
  19. Waffles and Scotch

Waffles and Scotch

Ah, okay. Cool. Thanks!
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    The Bass Brites cleaned out a heck of a lot of gunk from my rounds, which were almost dead, and now sound almost new. If you want brand new sound for a longer time, I'd say you're better off starting off with a new set. But I was surprised at how much they cleaned out of the strings. They even looked shinier when I was done.