Bass Build Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heavyGLOW, Mar 2, 2014.

1. heavyGLOW

heavyGLOW

Hey guys! I'm new here to TB, so let me take a moment to introduce myself. I am 18 and I have been playing bass for nearly two years so I'm still a noobie. My uncle is the sound guy for Bootsy Collins. He is the one who got me started on bass. I currently play a Squier vintage modified Jaguar (as I said, I'm new to this stuff so I have no clue what that means haha) I still have a lot to learn.
    I'm posting this because this summer I intend to build my own bass with my dad and grandfather. I have no clue where to start. I know I want to build a longscale through neck bass with 24 frets. I want a sound that pops but isn't too bright. You know, beefy with a growl. I'm a big fan of Flea so I'm going for that sound. I need advice on every aspect: what wood to use, electronics, and just the whole process in general.
    As a note, yes, I do know that this is a huge project that I'm not ready for but this is more about my grandfather and I having a project together before I move out of state for college so please respect that. But at the same time if we are going to invest time and money into this, we want to do it right. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
  2. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

You should ask some questions in the "Luthier's Corner." Those guys certainly have loads of knowledge to impart. Good luck with your build.
  3. heavyGLOW

heavyGLOW

Oh thanks. Sorry I should have looked around before posting. Thanks I will look into that