1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass Build Project Questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RichardSherman, Jan 16, 2014.

1. RichardSherman

RichardSherman

Hey everyone, Im a novice at this, so basically im building a bass with a seafoam green jazz body from MightyMite with all fender parts except for the bridge, which would be a Gotoh 201. Is this a bad build? Im curious Ive never done it before so I was wondering what are somethings to look out for and what problems may arise. Thanks!

2. marko138

marko138

What could be bad? Make sure the neck heel is the same measurements as the pocket and go to town.

3. RichardSherman

RichardSherman

Thanks for the advice! I'm not sure what could wrong but I guess I can never be to careful, Do you know anything about the MightyMite Jazz Bodies? I have seen some good things about them but am not entirely sure. Thanks!

4. marko138

marko138

No but I've got a Might Mite neck on just put on a P bass. Nice neck.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    I don't have experience with MightyMight, but it sounds like everything will match up nicely... the main concern would be the neck to body fit, and that is pretty standardized among the Fender line... you either have the curved pocket, or the flat pocket... as long as theyre both curved (99% sure they will be) you should be good to go!

7. RichardSherman

RichardSherman

Alright Thanks, Ive also seen stories of the pickgaurd not fitting well on the P body, but Ive never seen anything about the Jazz bodies though,has anyone had this issue with the jazz?

8. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    I actually fit the Fender Anodized gold guard on a 2013 amer std P (I didn't know about the 10 screw vs 13 screw thing when I got it) and nothing seemed to match up.... my dad and I had to grind out around the neck pocket, and the pickup. Then when we actually screwed it on, one of the holes was directly over the control cavity so we cut the top off of a screw and silicone-d it in place haha. as long as I leave the ashtrays on it looks perfect.... If I take it off you can see where I got a little liberal with the grinder around the pickup if you look closely... point is that you can make a pickguard work... That bass has actually become my go-to and I love all the little weird things about it (there is a lot more mods I made that I had to go back and redo, but I chalk it up as learning experience that I'm using to build my own bass)